DEAR MISS MANNERS: My husband and I had been ready in an airport lounge earlier than an early morning flight. It was a quiet crowd. A person in his 40s answered a name from his lawyer on his cellphone, then proceeded to loudly rant and rave about his ex-wife and their custody battle.
5 of us round him bought up and moved after 10 minutes. My husband stayed for just a few extra minutes and politely advised the gentleman that taking a personal name interrupted everybody’s calm, and possibly subsequent time he may take the decision away from others. The person sneered at my husband and continued the decision.
What else may we've carried out?
GENTLE READER: Stronger measures are mandatory when speaking with somebody who has simply realized that the ex-wife is demanding the sports activities automotive in addition to the youngsters: “Sir, excuse me for interrupting, however you won't need everybody within the lounge to listen to that you're hiding cash in your Aruba account.”
Miss Manners is borrowing the Caribbean island for an instance, not a metaphor: The impact you're going for is concern, so you'll want to embrace one thing you really overheard.
DEAR MISS MANNERS: I've gotten texts from folks asking me to name them when I've the time.
I do know that these folks genuinely suppose they're being useful and don't need to trouble me when I'm busy. Nevertheless, I don't see it this manner.
I feel if an individual needs to talk with me, they need to name. If I'm accessible, I'll reply. If not, they'll go away a message and I'll name them again.
The textual content methodology appears like they're placing the burden of initiating the decision on me, when they're those who need to communicate with me.
Am I justified on this standpoint, or am I approach off base?
GENTLE READER: Emotionally, your response is comprehensible. You are feeling that the texters have assigned you homework, whereas your response to the message-leavers is ameliorated by remorse that you just had been unavailable once they wished to talk with you.
Miss Manners says this as a delicate preface to mentioning that, for the explanations you gave, the textual content is much less intrusive — and due to this fact extra respectful — than barging in on somebody, assuming fixed availability.
DEAR MISS MANNERS: I've two younger youngsters. For his or her birthdays and Christmas over the previous few years, my sister-in-law has been giving my youngsters used/outgrown toys and garments from her daughter, who's older than my youngsters.
She isn't struggling financially. Is it acceptable to provide hand-me-downs as presents?
GENTLE READER: Strictly talking, hand-me-downs are presents, even when the expectation is that they are going to be handed to the cousins on the opposite aspect after use, laundering and folding.
However what stage of present? Miss Manners acknowledges she is uncommon in valuing a present by the thought and energy of the gift-giver, not its resale worth. However beneath both normal, hand-me-downs aren't usually as significant a present as is likely to be anticipated for a birthday or vacation.
Please ship your inquiries to Miss Manners at her web site, www.missmanners.com; to her electronic mail, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or via postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas Metropolis, MO 64106.