Opinion: We need people-focused action, not gun control

Two high schoolers hug in front of a school while one holds a sign that reads “Let us learn safely.”

East Excessive College college students held a walkout on the college in Salt Lake Metropolis on Friday, Could 27, 2022, to protest gun violence. Now many are debating how we will safely defend kids with gun regulation, psychological well being checks and training.

Laura Seitz, Deseret Information

I'm heartbroken over the evil that occurred in Uvalde, Texas. And I, as a part of the Salt Lake group, am outraged that our system has continued to fail us. Over the past 20 years, we’ve taught children to cover, defend and anticipate assist. Extra should be finished. 

Gun-free zones are harmful, and it's time to defend colleges like we defend airports, hospitals, courthouses and banks. We should cease threats with equal or larger power. I help the Second Modification and consider that training is the important thing to gun security, not laws. In an period of elevated crime, decreased funding for police and lengthy response occasions, I should be my very own first responder to guard myself, my household and my group, which is why I carry a firearm. 

The evil in Uvalde was not attributable to a gun, it was attributable to a damaged system that continues to push paper, insurance policies and laws as an alternative of fixing the foundation challenge. We should heal the ache in our communities, strengthen households and enhance financial alternatives. Most significantly, it's time to fund significant applications that tackle psychological well being, security, and firearm consciousness and coaching.

Cynthia Zumwalt 

West Jordan

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post