JaQuavious Harris, Billie Hatch win Deseret News half marathon

JaQuavious Harris takes the tape in the Deseret News Half Marathon in Salt Lake City on Monday, July 24, 2023.

JaQuavious Harris takes the tape within the Deseret Information Half Marathon in Salt Lake Metropolis on Monday, July 24, 2023.

Scott G Winterton, Deseret Information

JaQuavious Harris hasn’t taken a standard path in his quest to grow to be an elite runner who claimed his first half marathon victory Monday within the Deseret Information race.

“I’ve by no means actually raced a half (marathon) earlier than,” stated Harris, who's getting ready to run a marathon in Germany in hopes of qualifying for the U.S. Olympic trials in February.

“I have to run 5:15s in Germany. Effectively that’s my objective, so we simply needed to see what my vary is and what I can do.”

Apparently the 26-year-old, who raced in a 10K two weeks in the past, has fairly spectacular vary. 

He stated he was nervous Sunday evening as a result of he’d had a really sore toe.

“However I simply prayed, and I used to be like, ‘Lord, assist me,’” he stated.

As he raced down that first hill, he stated he felt no ache.

“It wasn’t hurting, so I used to be like, ‘Let’s go for it!’”

And go for it, he did. Harris gained with a time of 1:05:04. He stated it provides him confidence as he prepares to run a marathon in Germany in about 5 weeks.

“For as soon as in my life I’m truly believing in myself and the coaching my coach has been giving me,” he stated. “I’ve been actually constant.”

Harris ran his first marathon final fall on form of a whim. He stated his sister and her husband have been operating the half marathon in St. George, and she or he thought Harris ought to run the complete marathon — though he was solely operating about 30 miles per week when he determined to do it.

Evidently, it was a sufferfest, and all he gained was bragging rights.

Nevertheless it did mild a hearth in him. He began questioning simply how good he could possibly be if he actually utilized himself to a coaching plan.

“My coach instructed me that he believes I can go professional, however I’m nonetheless in school,” stated the Salt Lake Neighborhood School scholar who's finding out to grow to be a trainer.

“If I ran persistently and I truly put in effort, I might do some huge issues with this. I’m wholesome, and I've an important alternative to attempt to elevate.

“I don’t need to throw this away. I’m in my prime years, so I’m going to go for it.”

Kevin Lynch, 29, completed second with a time of 1:06:55, whereas Brett Lustgarten, 33, earned third place with a time of 1:07:29. 

Within the ladies’s race, Billie Hatch earned the win with a time of 1:12:59. Tawny Bybee, 36, earned second with a time of 1:17:48, whereas Kristin Johnson, 33, was third with a time of 1:19:38.

Till Friday, Hatch deliberate on operating the Deseret Information 10K. However after some discussions together with her coach about her coaching — and her plan to run the Chicago Marathon in October, she determined to run the Deseret Information half marathon as a substitute.

“It’s a superb course, good competitors, and it simply labored effectively to check my health going into the second half of my marathon coaching block,” Hatch stated. 

That turned out to be a superb choice because the 24-year-old gained the half marathon with a time of 1:12:59. That was quick sufficient to make her the eleventh finisher general, as effectively. 

The Preston, Idaho, native ran at Dixie after which Weber State, the place she simply graduated with a masters diploma. She stated she was barely frightened concerning the warmth, however she’d tried to organize with afternoon exercises.

“I used to be a bit of involved as a result of it has been so heat,” she stated. “However I’ve been doing most of my exercises within the afternoon round 5, so it’s been within the 90s. I believe I used to be as ready as doable.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post