Receiver Kody Epps opens up on journey to transfer portal, and back

BYU receiver Kody Epps speaks to reporters during the Big 12 college media days in Arlington, Texas, Wednesday, July 12, 2023.

BYU receiver Kody Epps speaks to reporters through the Huge 12 school media days in Arlington, Texas, Wednesday, July 12, 2023. Throughout Huge 12 media days the BYU receiver shared why he entered the switch portal solely to later return to BYU two days later.

LM Otero, Related Press

ARLINGTON, Texas — Of all of the gamers BYU may have chosen to signify the varsity on the Huge 12 soccer media days this week at AT&T Stadium, receiver Kody Epps would have appeared some of the unlikely.

“We may have prevented that scenario, however in all honesty, man, the maturation that I took from that have goes to final me a lifetime.” — BYU receiver Kody Epps after coming into switch portal, then returning to BYU

That’s as a result of the fourth-year sophomore just about signaled he not wished to be part of the staff in late April, coming into the switch portal a pair weeks after spring camp ended. 

In fact, Epps determined to return to BYU a couple of days after that, altering his thoughts after hours and hours of discussions with coaches, mates, members of the family and mentors, he advised the Deseret Information final month and once more on Wednesday.

“We may have prevented that scenario, however in all honesty, man, the maturation that I took from that have goes to final me a lifetime,” Epps mentioned. “The knowledge that I discovered from that have, from the communication with the coaches, and the friendships that I had, and to have brothers and teammates that embraced me once more after two days of hectic chaos, was a studying expertise.

“However it's what it's and I'm so keen to maneuver ahead with BYU,” Epps continued.

Seems, having Epps present up in Arlington at BYU’s first Huge 12 media occasion was a stroke of genius. The Los Angeles native was cheerful, articulate and frequently expressed gratitude for having the ability to be a part of defensive finish Tyler Batty, quarterback Kedon Slovis, punter Ryan Rehkow and linebacker Ben Bywater on the conferences.

“It is part of the job. We play soccer, however we even have media tasks that we have now to care for. It's actually a blessing. I really feel grateful to have the ability to be right here with these guys, to be on this gentle. And to have enjoyable whereas doing it,” Epps mentioned.

The product of Mater Dei Excessive in California is not a member of the religion that sponsors BYU, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However he mentioned representing the church nicely is necessary to him, and a job he takes severely, particularly after what occurred some 10 weeks in the past.

“To have the ability to take that head on and have the ability to be a pacesetter out here's a blessing and one thing I'm going to recollect for the remainder of my life,” he mentioned.

Persuading Epps to return may change into the very best recruiting work of the offseason for head coach Kalani Sitake, offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick and receivers coach Fesi Sitake, amongst others.

“That's in all probability extra for Kody to speak about (than me),” Kalani Sitake mentioned on June 26. “However with each participant, when they're speaking in regards to the portal, I believe the bottom line is to speak and a part of the communication is on the participant, too.

“In order we talked about issues and mentioned what's necessary, I believe (it was good),” Sitake continued. “The gamers have the portal now, in order that’s simply a part of soccer. I'm not apprehensive about it. I need the blokes who wish to be right here. … There are a variety of guys that we turned down that wish to be right here, so the main focus has bought to be on our staff and our tradition, however greater than something make it possible for they match and wish to be right here.”

Epps mentioned he discovered via the method that he “loves BYU” and actually desires to be there.

“I do know one factor: We now have seen him develop and develop fairly a bit and I'm actually happy with him,” Sitake mentioned. “I'm glad that he was ready to have a look at it and make the appropriate choice and are available again dwelling.”

In June, Epps referred to as it “a fairly tough course of” that he went via emotionally, however he's higher for it and can incorporate the teachings discovered into the remainder of his life.

“Which is having the ability to talk earlier than issues get shaky,” he mentioned. “I believe that what I went via goes to be so influential and so instrumental to my life in transferring ahead.”

How was Epps acquired when he returned to BYU?

New quarterback Kedon Slovis, a two-time switch, mentioned there have been by no means any ailing emotions directed towards Epps.

“He referred to as me, I used to be like, ‘Bro, I really like you. You must keep. However you're my man. That doesn’t change simply because you aren't taking part in with me anymore,’” Slovis mentioned. “And he calls me a day later and says, ‘Hey, do you continue to love me? As a result of I'm coming again.’

Batty mentioned a variety of gamers have been “shocked initially” when Epps entered the portal, as a result of the receiver was the “final staff man.” However guys weren’t shocked when Epps had a change of coronary heart.

“BYU is a particular place. We now have bought a particular ambiance. We now have bought a particular staff,” Batty mentioned. “You solely get 4 years to play school soccer. So I don’t blame anyone for testing the waters. You've 4 years, after which it's over.

“We're nonetheless super-stoked to have him,” Batty continued. “He’s an excellent athlete, and an excellent teammate.”

Mentioned punter Rehkow: “We couldn’t be extra comfortable to have Kody again, and everybody has welcomed him again with open arms. We're so excited for him to be right here representing BYU at media days, and it actually speaks to the individual he's.”

Injured most of his first two seasons in Provo, Epps broke out in 2022 — till he bought injured within the loss at Liberty and was compelled to overlook the ultimate 5 video games of the season. He completed with 39 catches for 459 yards and 6 touchdowns.

“I'm so able to play some soccer proper now. I'm so prepared. I've been rehabbing closely, and now it's nearly getting that energy again and issues of that nature,” Epps mentioned. “So I'm so grateful to play some ball.”

For BYU, particularly.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post