Longtime East Bay high school football coach steps down

Paul Perenon is stepping down as Mt. Eden’s head soccer coach after 13 seasons. 

Perenon, 70, joined the Hayward college in 2010 and led Mt. Eden to a 58-60-1 document and 4 journeys to the North Coast Part playoffs.

He mentioned “uncertainty” in this system is the explanation he's leaving however didn't get into specifics.

“There are nice younger males at this college, who want steerage and management … and a mannequin for them to point out how to achieve success. We did that,” Perenon advised the Bay Space Information Group on Thursday.  

Earlier than his stint at Mt. Eden, Perenon coached Bishop O’Dowd’s soccer group from 1985-2009, the place he led the Dragons to a few NCS titles. 

Whereas reflecting on his time at Mt. Eden, Perenon repeatedly mentioned that his favourite a part of teaching on the college was taking native youngsters and turning them into what he referred to as nice “scholar-athletes.”

“After I was teaching right here, I wished to teach the youngsters who had been right here and wished to be at Mt. Eden and play soccer in our program and understood what our expectations had been,” Perenon mentioned. 

Perenon mentioned he had been “evaluating” whether or not or not he wished to proceed teaching at Mt. Eden for nearly a 12 months. He added that he plans to maintain instructing on the college as a P.E. trainer.

“It began to not get enjoyable being the top coach right here,” Perenon mentioned, including he believes his successor may have the instruments wanted to run a profitable program. 

“This factor is ready up so much higher at the moment than after I confirmed up down right here in August of 2010,” Perenon mentioned.

Has the Bay Space seen the final of Perenon on a highschool sideline? 

Not an opportunity. 

“I’m not executed teaching,” Perenon mentioned. “I like it, and it’s in my DNA.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post