SF Giants’ Logan Webb on Tim Anderson ejection: ‘I’m not gonna listen to that’

CHICAGO — The Giants and White Sox, assembly right here for the primary time since 2017, aren’t precisely conventional rivals. However their first two video games have every produced heated moments that simply may make you assume as a lot.

The White Sox beat the Giants and Logan Webb on Wednesday, 7-3, however their star shortstop, Tim Anderson, wasn’t round lengthy to take pleasure in it. He was ejected by residence plate umpire D.J. Reyburn within the third inning after taking strike three and continuing to shout at Webb from the dugout. The incident got here a recreation after Giants starter Anthony DeSclafani and White Sox first baseman Andrew Vaughn exchanged phrases and needed to be separated.

Anderson’s ejection, in fact, wasn’t that simple.

Anderson, who left with out addressing reporters, appeared to consider Webb quick-pitched him on the referred to as strike three. Underneath the brand new guidelines, batters solely get one referred to as timeout per plate look, and Anderson exhausted his after the earlier pitch. When he stepped again into the field, Webb was on the rubber, ready to ship the ball.

“I wasn’t attempting to quick-pitch or something,” Webb mentioned. “However he took it that method, I assume.”

As Webb started his movement, Anderson started strolling away from the batter’s field. He had his again turned because the 83-mph changeup crossed the plate and entered the glove of Roberto Pérez, and Reyburn rung up the third strike. If Anderson had tried to name time, it wasn’t granted by the umpire, and it will have resulted in an computerized strike, anyway, beneath the brand new guidelines.

If he was upset that he wasn’t arrange within the field when Webb started his movement, the Giants starter refuted that declare.

“I used to be up on the mound, Roberto gave me the pitch name. Even in the course of the pitch name, he was taking a look at me,” Webb mentioned. “So I knew he was taking a look at me. I even stopped midway by means of my windup, or form of stopped, I don’t know if I actually did or not. I believed it was going to be referred to as time. At that time, I’m not going to step off and get a balk or a ball referred to as on myself, so I form of simply lobbed one in there.”

Anderson appeared to sign to the umpire that he hadn’t given his consideration to Webb, earlier than stalking again to the dugout. However he wasn’t performed. As Webb fired three strikes previous the following batter, Luis Robert Jr., Anderson continued chirping from the dugout railing.

In between ringing up the 2 batters, Webb ultimately turned his consideration to the barking from the third-base dugout. He raised his arms and volleyed phrases again at Anderson. Movies seem to point out expletives being utilized by every participant.

“I’m not gonna hearken to that (expletive) for a bunch of pitches,” Webb mentioned. “He was yelling at me from the dugout for like 5 straight pitches.”

At that time, Reyburn punched the air together with his proper fist, expelling Anderson from the remainder of the sport.

Whereas Anderson’s preliminary grievance seemed to be with the umpire not granting him time, his phrases from the dugout had been directed on the Giants’ starter, not the house plate umpire, Webb mentioned.

“I don’t essentially assume he ought to’ve gotten tossed,” Webb mentioned. “He was speaking to me; he wasn’t speaking to the umpires. … It's what it's. I mentioned what I mentioned.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post