Dear Abby: She torpedoed her marriage and expects us to be on board with it

DEAR ABBY: My daughter, “Maddie,” 34, simply left what I believed was an awesome marriage. After solely 5 years, she cheated on her husband, “Glenn.” Their 6-year-old son is crushed.

I do know there are two sides to each story, however our complete household loves Glenn. He’s a tough employee, quiet and sort of a homebody.

I believe poor communication and lack of pleasure had been her points with him. (She refuses to speak with me concerning the state of affairs, so I’m surmising based mostly on what I do know of them each.)

This was their first marriage, however ever since highschool, Maddie had a protracted string of boyfriends. Most of them appeared to be good guys (she’s had a couple of duds), however when Maddie’s dad and I acquired to know them and have become keen on them, she’d dump them.

I believe Maddie is upset with me as a result of I can’t heat as much as her latest man. When she began dishonest with him, he was additionally married. (He’s now divorced.) He’s bit older than she is, and I don’t image this relationship lasting.

I've met him a few occasions and been pleasant sufficient, however I haven’t friended him on social media. She posts pictures of them collectively, and I not often “like” the pictures as a result of I don’t like them.

I hate what she’s executed. It actually hurts me. How can I get previous this, and the way ought to I deal with what I really feel is strain from her to just accept this new man?

STANDING BY IN GEORGIA

DEAR STANDING BY: Your first precedence must be to create as secure an surroundings to your grandchild as doable.

There might have been issues in Maddie and Glenn’s marriage that you just weren’t aware about. Be cordial to the brand new man in your daughter’s life, and sooner or later cease permitting your self to turn out to be as emotionally invested with the boys she dates as you may have up to now. Out of your description of Maddie’s sample, there could also be extra on the horizon.

DEAR ABBY: I'm a 58-year-old man. I've a 33-year-old daughter and a 14-year-old granddaughter.

My relationship with my granddaughter is nonexistent. My solely relevance to her is within the position of benefactor. She guarantees to spend time, go to, name or write, however by no means follows by.

Then again, she has no drawback reaching out by way of money app or another platform for cash.

Yearly, within the months earlier than Christmas, I begin receiving calls or texts from her. As soon as the vacations are over, it’s enterprise as standard.

Going ahead I plan to disregard her inquiries. Conversations together with her and my daughter aren’t working. What do you counsel?

MORE THAN MONEY IN MICHIGAN

DEAR MORE: As a result of conversations along with your daughter haven’t labored, have one other one along with your granddaughter. Remember that at 14, she could also be considerably self-centered, however she must be advised how being ignored for lengthy intervals makes you're feeling.

Clarify that you're not prepared to offer presents of cash to an individual you aren’t interacting with. Then see if she follows by.

Pricey Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also called Jeanne Phillips, and was based by her mom, Pauline Phillips. Contact Pricey Abby at www.DearAbby.com or P.O. Field 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post