Ask Amy: I was mortified when they saw we had swiped their wine

Pricey Amy:“Dilemma in Denver” requested if it was OK to take wine from a neighboring desk in a restaurant after the opposite social gathering had left.

I skilled this as soon as years in the past.

Below the same circumstance, one in every of my tablemates helped herself to the wine left at a desk subsequent to us. She had poured us all a glass when these folks returned from the salad bar.

I wished to crawl below the desk!

 Mortified

Pricey Mortified: A reminder: It is best to drink no wine earlier than it’s time.

Pricey Amy:“Searching for Grief Etiquette” wrote to you about her grief after experiencing a miscarriage.

As a retired obstetrician, I've had appreciable expertise with this. One level I mentioned with sufferers early in being pregnant was the truth that being pregnant loss is way more frequent than most individuals notice.

I advised that they rigorously think about whom they inform about their being pregnant till after the primary trimester, when being pregnant loss is far much less frequent, thus avoiding the issue of telling many individuals the dangerous information.

I additionally discovered recommendation I used to be given 15 years in the past, when my spouse died, very useful. The perception was that individuals who requested, “What can I do?” of a grieving individual actually are asking as a result of they don’t know the best way to be useful.

My reply, at that tough time, was: “Invite me to dinner.”

I believe it was win-win. This helped me, and I believe they had been glad to do one thing that I appreciated.

This girl who had miscarried had her reply: “Ship me some flowers.” She mustn't have hesitated to ask this of her associates.

Neil Kochenour, MD

Pricey Dr. Kochenour: Thanks on your useful knowledge. Concerning miscarriage – I agree that it's most considered to attend to announce a being pregnant, however even when couples haven’t introduced their being pregnant, they typically nonetheless select to reveal a miscarriage to their circle of family and friends.

Pricey Amy:“Scammed” wrote in regards to the more and more standard rip-off of being contacted by a supposedly respected firm which asks you to buy reward playing cards.

You advised that retailer clerks promoting reward playing cards ought to be skilled to be looking out.

I bought a number of hundred dollars’ value of reward playing cards at my native Big grocery retailer, and the clerk did ask me if a 3rd social gathering had requested me to purchase the playing cards.

Out of curiosity, I requested if anybody has ever answered “sure” to that query, and he mentioned that certainly they'd stopped many individuals from falling prey to this rip-off.

Retailer staff are actually a terrific weapon in opposition to these scammers.

Trustworthy Buyer

Pricey Buyer: I'm very completely satisfied to be taught that retailer clerks are serving to to teach clients on the hazard of reward card scammers.

Pricey Amy: I appreciated your response to “Cease Haunting My Desires,” on what to do once you dream of a former beloved.

Carl Jung advised that different people in our desires typically signify unconscious (within the “shadow”) elements of ourselves which can be inviting acutely aware consideration to, and even acutely aware incorporation of, (a few of) the individual’s trait(s) into our personal personalities.

As an illustration: What desired elements of this man does the dreamer want to acknowledge and develop in herself, for her personal use? What ideas, emotions and behaviors (the discrete parts of persona) does he signify that she may embrace and enact as her personal? Not easy questions, however typically fruitful.

As Jung was fond of claiming, “The unconscious is UN-conscious.” That's, we're not morally chargeable for these ideas surfacing, however it's our ethical accountability to grasp and relate to our unconscious when it does.

Sophia Eurich-Rascoe (Licensed Jungian Analyst)

Pricey Sophia: I genuinely recognize your useful interpretation of Jung’s knowledge.

Pricey Amy: Thanks for discussing the significance of funerals and memorial companies.

I used to be somebody who by no means attended funerals – the individual was already lifeless and wouldn’t discover, I reasoned. The worth for the household by no means entered my thoughts.

After which my husband died. We have now six kids and our youngest was simply 6 on the time. I can’t inform you what it meant when folks got here pouring into the church. Their presence mentioned: “I’ve dropped all the things to honor this man, and to be with you as we speak.”

Now I drop all the things to go to funerals of somebody I knew, even casually.

In spite of everything, certainly everyone seems to be vital sufficient for us to take an hour to honor them, and to supply the household with matchless consolation.

Present Up

Pricey Present Up: Sadly, experiences with grief and mourning are our best lecturers.

You possibly can e mail Amy Dickinson at askamy@amydickinson.com or ship a letter to Ask Amy, P.O. Field 194, Freeville, NY 13068. It's also possible to comply with her on Twitter @askingamy or Fb.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post