STANFORD, Calif. (AP) — Stanford is operating a brand new offense with extra ball screens and reverses. The Cardinal are nonetheless looking for a rhythm with completely different rotations and mixtures.
Santa Clara shined utilizing the same system and gave a prime program fairly a push.
Hannah Leap scored 19 factors with 4 3-pointers, Kiki Iriafen added 16 factors, and the second-ranked Cardinal held off Bay Space neighbor Santa Clara 82-69 on Wednesday night time.
Fran Belibi contributed 12 factors and eight rebounds off the bench because the Cardinal (9-1) received their fourth straight recreation since falling 76-71 in time beyond regulation to top-ranked South Carolina on Nov. 20.

“We’re enjoying rather a lot smarter,” Belibi stated. “All of our guards are making actually nice selections and we’re probably not getting as many offensive fouls and people sorts of turnovers. I feel that basically helps us.”
Leap made 4 of eight 3s however Stanford completed simply 6 for 22 from lengthy vary. Haley Jones added 14 factors, 11 rebounds, three blocked pictures and two steals.
Olivia Pollerd scored 19 factors with 5 3s to steer scrappy Santa Clara (5-4), which had received three straight and 4 of 5 and hung powerful with a prime crew within the nation. The Broncos hit 13 3s and moved the ball effectively.
“If you make errors defensively they simply make you pay,” Santa Clara coach Invoice Carr stated. “I feel that’s the largest factor we’re going to study from tonight is once you go right into a recreation and you've got a recreation plan, you’ve received to attempt to keep it up for 40 minutes.”
Broncos freshman Tess Heal, one in every of 4 Santa Clara gamers from Melbourne, Australia, has earned West Coast Convention Freshman of the Week honors in as many choices of the award to date this season. She had a tricky night time.
The 5-foot-10 guard shot 3 for 11 for six factors dealing with a taller defender whereas Lara Edmondson scored 12 for Santa Clara, which was coming off a 71-58 win Saturday in opposition to beforehand unbeaten Washington to go undefeated on the Las Vegas Vacation Basic.
The Broncos’ reserves scored 23 factors and Santa Clara matched Stanford on the boards till late within the third.
“We didn’t defend the 3-point line in addition to we would have liked to,” Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer stated. “… I feel there’s issues that we will study and we will do higher and we’ll must do higher in opposition to Gonzaga.”
Iriafen made 5 of her first 6 pictures as Stanford started 7 for 12 however the Cardinal then hit a stretch lacking seven of eight and Santa Clara grabbed a 19-18 lead on Lexie Pritchard’s 3 with 32 seconds left within the first quarter.

TARA’S POISE
VanDerveer has obtained solely three technical fouls her complete 44-year Corridor of Fame profession and he or she remembers every one in every of them vividly to today — one at Idaho and two throughout her 37 seasons at Stanford.
She picks her moments and all the time has.
“One in Alaska, I used to be the coach at Idaho, they known as over and again and we didn’t play over and again, that wasn’t our rule. And I pointed that out and so they didn’t like me to level that out. I received one at Stanford early on down in UCLA,” she recalled earlier than the sport. “And I received one I went on the courtroom as a result of Candice (Wiggins) received clobbered. I simply was frightened about Candice. I went out proper on the courtroom, I used to be like, ‘She received clobbered and I’ve received to go learn how she is.’ Our gamers don’t get technicals both. I don’t wish to lose a recreation by two and be blaming myself.”

BIG PICTURE
Santa Clara: The Broncos had received the earlier assembly in a 61-58 upset on Stanford’s residence flooring Nov. 23, 2015. Earlier than that, the Cardinal had received seven straight within the sequence. … Santa Clara couldn’t set up a transition recreation and scored no fast-break factors.
Stanford: Stanford dedicated simply eight turnovers and held a 44-37 rebounding benefit. … The Cardinal received for the 14th time within the final 16 vs. Santa Clara and lead the all-time sequence 30-5 — and 16-3 at residence.

UP NEXT
Santa Clara: Hosts Oakland-based second-year program Lincoln College on Friday night time.
Stanford: Hosts a second straight WCC opponent when No. 23 Gonzaga visits Sunday afternoon earlier than the crew’s two-break for closing exams forward of a Dec. 18 residence date with Tennessee.
The Related Press story by Janie McCauley







___
AP ladies’s school basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/womens-college-basketball and https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25