‘He’s carrying a lot on his shoulders’: Why Gideon George has been so valuable for BYU this season

BYU forward Gideon George dribbles against Missouri State players at the Marriott Center in Provo on Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022.

BYU ahead Gideon George dribbles in opposition to Missouri State gamers on the Marriott Middle in Provo on Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2022. Large issues are anticipated of George this season in Provo.

Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information

Senior Gideon George performed an enormous position in BYU’s large comeback victory over Dayton final Friday in The Bahamas at The Battle 4 Atlantis.

“Gideon is actually a pacesetter on this staff. There’s little doubt. He’s carrying quite a bit on his shoulders. He knew that coming again. He’s bought some nice individuals serving to him however he’s carrying a load there.” — Mark Pope

The Cougars rallied from a 23-point first-half deficit and earned a 79-75 time beyond regulation win. 

George scored a team-high 21 factors, hit three 3-pointers, and grabbed six rebounds. He made an enormous free throw with 1:03 left in regulation to assist ship the sport to OT. 

BYU can be in search of extra of these form of performances from George this season. 

“Gideon is actually a pacesetter on this staff. There’s little doubt,” mentioned coach Mark Pope. “He’s carrying quite a bit on his shoulders. He knew that coming again. He’s bought some nice individuals serving to him however he’s carrying a load there.”

The Cougars face Westminster on Tuesday (7 p.m. MST, BYUtv) at Vivint Enviornment. 

Through the offseason, George entered the switch portal and then determined to take away his identify. On the time, he introduced plans to return to BYU and he entered his identify into the NBA draft.

In the end, George selected to play another season in Provo. 

“I used to be so excited. I used to be excited in a basketball sense, however I used to be extra excited as a result of Gideon is such an unbelievable ambassador for BYU,” Pope mentioned of George’s resolution. “He’s such an ideal spirit in our locker room. He makes us higher on the court docket, sure. However he’s doing wonderful issues for this college, for our neighborhood and the state of Utah.

“He’s doing wonderful issues for his countrymen again in Nigeria,” Pope continued. “He’s an unbelievable instance. The truth that we get to have him right here for one more 12 months and we are able to absorb every little thing he has to supply is fairly particular.”

What did George be taught from testing the NBA waters? 

“It was actually good. It’s a privilege to work with NBA groups,” he mentioned. “It was actually good to listen to suggestions. I’m making an attempt to work on my conditioning and being within the prime form of my life. I’m making an attempt to try this day by day.”

George mentioned he has loads of motivation this season. He credit his older brother, Samson, who performed at Pittsburgh, for serving to him navigate his profession choices. 

“I give numerous like to my brother, Samson. He actually helped me. With the choice, it was actually onerous,” he mentioned. “He was there for me, no matter what I did. He performed at Pitt. He is aware of school basketball. It was robust for him. He’s not going to let me make the identical mistake he did. I wrote my execs and cons down. And I got here again.”

The Cougars are glad George determined to return. He’s offering management and he’s serving to the youthful gamers on the staff. 

“I guard Gideon day by day in follow and I’m studying quite a bit from him, guarding him and as he’s guarding me,” mentioned freshman Richie Saunders. “I’m grateful for that instance.”


Cougars on the air

Westminster (0-5)

vs. BYU (4-3)

Tuesday, 7 p.m. MST 

Vivint Enviornment

TV: BYUtv

Radio: BYU Radio/1160 AM

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post