The story behind Ethan Erickson’s first catch — which went for a TD in win over USU

BYU tight end Ethan Erickson celebrates a touchdown against the Utah State Aggies in Provo on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022.

BYU tight finish Ethan Erickson celebrates a landing towards the Utah State Aggies in Provo on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022.

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret Information

Tight finish Ethan Erickson will always remember his first catch as a member of the BYU soccer group.

Landing catches have a tendency to try this to a man.

“It was simply one thing that felt so surreal, and I can’t put it into phrases, the overall euphoria I felt from it. Jaren (Corridor) threw an unbelievable ball, the right ball. I regarded up, it went proper into my palms, I turned, then fell, after which I heard the group screaming. I used to be like, ‘holy crap, I simply obtained my first landing.” — BYU tight finish Ethan Erickson

His 14-yard reception within the southwest nook of the tip zone at LaVell Edwards Stadium on the Cougars’ opening drive of the second half helped BYU beat Utah State 38-26 final Thursday, and the previous resident of Laie, Hawaii, was in “paradise” for a few days after, he stated.

“I imply, it was a dream come true,” Erickson stated. “I haven’t caught a landing go since my sophomore 12 months of highschool. It has been a very long time.”

Erickson outdueled a former highschool teammate, USU’s Kaleo Neves, for Jaren Corridor’s go and was nearly instantly mobbed by his teammates. 

“It was simply one thing that felt so surreal, and I can’t put it into phrases, the overall euphoria I felt from it,” he stated. “Jaren threw an unbelievable ball, the right ball. I regarded up, it went proper into my palms, I turned, then fell, after which I heard the group screaming. I used to be like, ‘holy crap, I simply obtained my first landing.’”

Then the cellphone of Erickson’s fiancee — BYU volleyball participant Alyssa Montoya — “form of blew up,” Erickson stated, as did these of his dad and mom and step-parents, who have been all in attendance, even those that now reside in Alabama.

When he lastly obtained again to the locker room some 45 minutes after the sport ended, he found greater than 20 Instagram messages and greater than 20 textual content messages on his personal cellphone.

“After the sport, I went across the area to shake palms, took some footage, after which went and took footage with my household. After which my stepdad advised me, ‘I've like 60 texts proper now. Individuals are simply blowing up my cellphone,’” Erickson stated. “I used to be like, oh my goodness. … I used to be like, that is loopy.”

It wasn’t loopy for BYU offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick, who has been predicting since preseason coaching camp that Erickson would shine as soon as he obtained the prospect. Erickson obtained extra taking part in time when backup Dallin Holker left this system for the switch portal just a few weeks in the past, and he’s made probably the most of it.

“He obtained thrown in there and he responded very well,” Roderick stated. “He did what I anticipated him to do. He's lengthy, very athletic, and he's powerful. He's a very powerful child. He seized the second, for certain, and he going to play a giant position on this recreation.”

This recreation is Saturday’s conflict towards Notre Dame, because the No. 16 Cougars put their rating and 4-1 document on the road vs. the 2-2 Preventing Irish in Las Vegas (5:30 p.m. MDT, NBC).

Erickson declined to expose the title of the play, saying these varieties of issues are “secret college stuff,” however he knew when he heard it known as that he had an opportunity to be on the receiving finish.

“I lined up, and I used to be a bit bit jittery. So I ran my route, I handed the man. I had him proper on my hip, so I knew it was going to be a again shoulder ball, so I kinda turned,” he stated. “Proper after I noticed it out of his hand I kinda turned a bit bit, after which simply noticed that ball and simply went out and obtained it.”

Erickson performed his freshman season of highschool soccer at Lone Peak, the place he caught “12 touchdowns or one thing as a result of I used to be simply taller than everyone else.” His household moved to Hawaii, and he performed for Kahuku, catching 10 or so landing passes his sophomore season.

However he bounced round from tight finish to receiver to defensive finish his final two seasons in Hawaii, and was by no means in a position to document a landing go.

Till final Thursday evening in Provo.

“It was not solely my first landing right here — I caught my first ball as a Cougar for a landing,” he stated. “So I used to be like, that is insane. I didn’t even assume I'd have this chance this season. However I'm so grateful, so blessed.”


Cougars on the air

No. 16 BYU (4-1) 

vs. Notre Dame (2-2)

Saturday, 5:30 p.m. MDT

Allegiant Stadium

Las Vegas, Nevada

TV: NBC

Radio: KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post