Dear Abby: I expected them to give my graduating son $100. Isn’t that how it works?

DEAR ABBY: Final yr we attended my husband’s cousin’s son’s highschool commencement. We gave him $100.

Properly, this yr our son graduated. All he obtained from them was $20!

Are financial commencement items not reciprocal? I assumed that if somebody gave your child $50, that when their little one graduated, you'd give them $50, too.

Am I old style? Is that this not the way it works?

I’m sort of offended that they thought so little of our son, particularly since we gave their son a lot.

MIFFED IN MINNESOTA

DEAR MIFFED: I don’t assume you might be old style; nevertheless, you might be presumptuous.

I don’t understand how rich your husband’s cousin and his household are (or aren’t). Because you didn’t point out it, I don’t assume you do both. But it surely’s a mistake to rely different individuals’s cash as a result of they normally have lower than others presume they've.

If somebody offers much less, one more reason could also be they produce other family members they have to give to.

DEAR ABBY: I've a pal who has lately separated from an abusive husband. I’ve at all times had emotions for her, and I lately let her find out about them.

My downside is, it looks like I've to stroll by means of damaged glass only for her to speak to me.

Final week, I had emergency surgical procedure, and though she mentioned she would, she by no means visited. Now that I’m out of the hospital, nothing has modified.

Should I simply let her go and overlook about her?

WANTS A CHANCE IN COLORADO

DEAR WANTS: You talked about that this “pal” lately separated from an abusive husband. You didn't say she was divorced.

The girl you are attempting to pursue has been broken. She will not be prepared for a romantic relationship for a really very long time.

Her actions present she isn't all in favour of you, so, sure, let her go, and search for somebody who can reciprocate your emotions.

DEAR ABBY: I've a pal who's at all times late.

She involves my home as soon as per week, and I assist her with cellphone calls and paperwork as a result of she has disabilities.

She says she’ll be right here in 10 minutes, but it surely at all times finally ends up being at the least half an hour. One other factor she does is inform me, “I’ll be there between 3:30 and 4.” That offers her leeway, but it surely means I've to be prepared at 3:30. She will be able to arrive at my place at 4 and she or he’s nonetheless in her “leeway time interval.”

How can I get this pal to be on time? (I can’t go to her place as a result of it’s too small and cluttered.)

FRUSTRATED HELPER IN NEW YORK

DEAR HELPER: Inform your pal you don’t thoughts serving to her, however you want her to be extra punctual than she has been. This implies she must be at your house at a specified time as a result of ready half an hour for her is inconvenient for you.

If she values your assist, she’ll comply. If not, she ought to discover another person to assist her along with her cellphone calls and paperwork.

Pricey Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also called Jeanne Phillips, and was based by her mom, Pauline Phillips. Contact Pricey Abby at www.DearAbby.com or P.O. Field 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post