Nick Bosa Q&A: Twenty-eight questions with SF 49ers’ defensive star

Contemporary out of the chilly tub after a coaching camp follow, Nick Bosa took a seat on a sofa and settled in for a uncommon, one-on-one interview.

Bosa’s fourth season on the 49ers is upon him. He's, undeniably, one of many NFL’s greatest defensive ends. But he’s nonetheless considerably of a thriller.

He isn't a brash loudmouth or a clever-dancing sack artist. His dry humorousness can catch you abruptly, as can an occasional postgame soundbite reflecting unabashed confidence in himself, his protection and his staff.

SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA - SEPTEMBER 13: San Francisco 49ers' Nick Bosa (97) celebrates a touchdown by San Francisco 49ers' Raheem Mostert (31) against the Arizona Cardinals in the first quarter at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA – SEPTEMBER 13: San Francisco 49ers’ Nick Bosa (97) celebrates a landing by San Francisco 49ers’ Raheem Mostert (31) in opposition to the Arizona Cardinals within the first quarter at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Space Information Group) 

Within the following question-and-answer session with the Bay Space Information Group’s 49ers reporter Cam Inman, Bosa didn't hesitate to say this season’s staff might win the Tremendous Bowl, thus ending the franchise’s 27-year quest for a sixth Lombardi Trophy:

Earlier than we dive into 2022, let’s replicate actual fast on final season. The Inexperienced Bay playoff sport, you get a few sacks on Aaron Rodgers and win within the snow. Most gratifying win or efficiency you’ve had?

I didn’t love how I performed within the second half. However after the sport is likely one of the most excited instances I’ve been, for positive, after a win.

What did you do on Tremendous Bowl Sunday?

Oh, I used to be there. I used to be in L.A. for some occasions, simply left Vegas. I had a pair straightforward cash occasions the place I needed to present up and no matter. Then I used to be in L.A. and my physician (Neal) ElAttrache had an additional ticket. I went and sat within the field with my agent. I didn’t prefer it in any respect. (Rams lineman Andrew) Whitworth’s household was proper subsequent to me, and I used to be simply … they had been all tremendous good. If I did it once more, I might have stayed at house or went some place else to observe it.

Was it painful and awkward?

It was bizarre, as a result of I didn’t need to like cheer for anyone, however clearly I’m watching Sam (Hubbard) and Joe (Burrow). That’s the largest cause I made a decision to go. (Bosa performed at Ohio State with Hubbard and Burrow.)

What are your expectations for this season?

Clearly there’s numerous uncertainty with a brand new quarterback. You by no means know the way good they’re going to be, since you haven’t seen them play. However I like what I noticed from him final yr and I do know that our staff is nice sufficient to win the Tremendous Bowl.

The primary few video games will say loads about how our offense goes to function. However as a staff, we’re in the perfect place we’ve been in, together with ’19. Our secondary goes to permit the D-line to actually turn into the highest unit within the league, which I’m tremendous enthusiastic about.

SANTA CLARA, CA - JULY 29: San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Nick Bosa (97) hugs quarterback Trey Lance (5) during practice on Thursday, July 29, 2021, in Santa Clara, Calif. (Aric Crabb/Bay Area News Group)
SANTA CLARA, CA – JULY 29: San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Nick Bosa (97) hugs quarterback Trey Lance (5) throughout follow on Thursday, July 29, 2021, in Santa Clara, Calif. (Aric Crabb/Bay Space Information Group) 

We've got tons of weapons. Clearly we've got Deebo, and I believe the O-line will come collectively. However we’ve bought to see what Trey can do, for positive.

You deliver up 2019, and also you got here right into a staff with contender talents, and now Trey does, too. Plenty of gamers drafted that top don’t get to try this.

Yeah, I do know. I undoubtedly bought fortunate. I might have been elsewhere. I’m simply blissful as a result of this group is so nice. They provide you all of the sources you want. They hearken to my enter. Clearly it's important to get some respect within the constructing earlier than you can provide enter, however I've an amazing relationship with Kyle and John, so it’s all good.

Did final season shock you ways a lot you bought out of your physique coming off the knee (reconstruction)?

In case you informed me once I confirmed up right here (in 2021) that I used to be going to have that yr, it could slightly bit shock me, as a result of there have been nonetheless some issues with my knee that had been annoying me. I used to be managing it however standing out at walk-through at follow, I used to be all the time desirous about it, and I had a sleeve on it on a regular basis. It was annoying. However as soon as I bought going, I felt wonderful. After I’m within the routine of being right here and caring for my physique pretty much as good as I do once I’m right here, it feels the perfect.

Did it's important to in the reduction of in your leg exercises final week with totally different exercises?

Not totally different exercises, however I needed to handle as a result of I had a fat-pad factor, which is 2 little fats issues whenever you squeeze your quad, and it was getting irritated a lot as a result of there’s so many nerves in there. As a result of there’s a lot new hardware in there, it takes so many reps and squats for it to start out shifting prefer it did earlier than. I didn’t get my max (weight lifting) as much as the place it was the yr earlier than, and now this yr I’m 35 kilos (on a most squat) over the place I used to be two years in the past.

Your quads clearly get numerous consideration. How do they allow you to?

It’s numerous genetics, for positive, from my dad. It’s not like I'm going and do body-building stuff within the offseason. I’m not sitting there doing excessive reps and leg extensions. I squat full vary and do a pair single leg issues, some step ups and RDLs. All the things is to carry out nicely.

Are Joey’s quads as huge? (His older brother, Joey, performs for the Los Angeles Chargers)

No.

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL - JANUARY 31: A photograph of Nick Bosa, left, and his older brother Joey Bosa who plays for the San Diego Chargers is displayed in a bulletin board at St.Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020. St. Thomas Aquinas is the high school that San Francisco 49ers defensive end Nick Bosa attended and graduated in 2016. Bosa recently voted as the 2019 NFL Rookie of the Year. The San Francisco 49ers will play the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV on February 2. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL – JANUARY 31: A photograph of Nick Bosa, left, and his older brother Joey Bosa who performs for the San Diego Chargers is displayed in a bulletin board at St.Thomas Aquinas Excessive College in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020. St. Thomas Aquinas is the highschool that San Francisco 49ers defensive finish Nick Bosa attended and graduated in 2016. Bosa lately voted because the 2019 NFL Rookie of the 12 months. The San Francisco 49ers will play the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs in Tremendous Bowl LIV on February 2. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Space Information Group) 

Does anyone within the NFL have greater quads?

I believe so. Possibly Javon (Kinlaw), perhaps per proportion, perhaps not. (Kinlaw is 6-foot-5, 319 kilos and performs defensive sort out subsequent to Bosa, who's listed at 6-4, 266).

How is the rapport with left sort out Trent Williams throughout follow?

Right this moment I requested him about one thing, and the actual fact he gave me a straight reply, I used to be like, ‘Wow.’ I really feel if he was a youthful participant and might need one other contract some place else – which perhaps he'll however – perhaps he wouldn’t do this kind of factor. So I do respect that. You’re all the time competing, even with guys in your staff. And I’ll inform him no matter as a result of he’s on my staff.

How would you describe the perfect cross rush?

Actually good get-off, and end with a sack. Knocking the ball out could be ultimate.

In in the present day’s NFL, is finesse extra vital than an influence rush?

I believe energy is extra vital, to be sincere. Guys are so athletic and so good with their arms that in case you don’t have energy …. Like, you possibly can get away with simply being an influence rusher and being productive within the NFL. However you may’t get away with simply being a finesse rusher, until you’re loopy. Even Von Miller, who’s considered a quick rusher, he’s additionally one of many higher energy rushers.

Do you will have a signature transfer?

I believe the swipe. Inside swipe or exterior swipe. I’m extra of an influence rusher, truthfully, when it comes right down to it.

SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA - NOV. 28: San Francisco 49ers' Nick Bosa (97) sacks Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins (8) in the second quarter of their NFL game at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group)
SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA – NOV. 28: San Francisco 49ers’ Nick Bosa (97) sacks Minnesota Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins (8) within the second quarter of their NFL sport at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 2021. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Space Information Group) Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Space Information Group

That’s totally different from Joey?

I’d say so. As his profession’s gone on, he’s turn into extra finesse, however he’s bought the ability, too.

Did your dad instill a few of this in you rising up? (John Bosa was the Miami Dolphins’ 1987 first-round choose who performed three seasons as a defensive finish earlier than knee accidents lower quick his profession.)

Probably not.

Together with his background, do you guys really feel you’re carrying on his legacy and elevating it to new heights?

Yeah, you consider that typically. However he’d be the primary to inform you he hopes for our careers to make his not even a thought. He had a tough NFL profession. He had a tremendous school profession. However he was as a first-round choose. As a child from Keene, New Hampshire, that’s fairly cool.

He had knee accidents. You had a nasty knee harm, too, however with medical developments, it’s a special sport, huh?

Yeah, fully. He’s nice now and continues to be exercising a ton. His knees really feel good and I’m glad.

You spend your offseasons in Fort Lauderdale. You bought a ship? How huge is it?

Thirty toes.

Have a protein-shake blender on the boat?

No. There’s a fridge on there, although.

You don’t go fishing, do you?

Slightly, not a lot. I prefer to go to the sandbar and hang around. I preserve my boat behind my dad’s home, however on the weekends, I deliver it to Joey’s as a result of he’s in the principle space of Fort Lauderdale and the place we like to hang around. However the boat trip are actually three minutes from his place to the sandbar, so typically we don’t go very far.

What else do you do on the market?

Simply numerous work. Weekdays, I’m not doing a lot. I’ll hang around at Joey’s.

Out right here in California, you got here right here three years in the past, however basically have solely lived right here a few yr – six months in 2019, six months final yr. Favourite spots?

I don’t do something right here. I dwell proper down the road. As soon as I transfer someplace – which I would do someday —  I’ll begin checking extra spots out. However I don’t have a girlfriend so I don’t actually exit to eat with anyone. I would go over to George’s place or often have a D-line hangout.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Sept. 8: San Francisco 49ers Nick Bosa (97) works out alongside teammates D.J. Jones (93) and Arden Key (98), Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021, in Santa Clara, Calif., before the team's first game of the season. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Sept. 8: San Francisco 49ers Nick Bosa (97) works out alongside teammates D.J. Jones (93) and Arden Key (98), Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021, in Santa Clara, Calif., earlier than the staff’s first sport of the season. (Karl Mondon/Bay Space Information Group) 

Do you reside by your self?

Yeah.

Will you ultimately purchase a house?

Yeah, if I’m staying right here for some time, in all probability.

While you see a man like Deebo get signed, George and Fred, what does that inform you how this franchise takes care of homegrown guys and your religion in that.

I've numerous religion that when the time comes, it is going to be easy. I do know it’s one of many hardest negotiation items up there with Paraag (Marathe, the 49ers’ chief capologist) and all these guys. However I believe after they know your worth …

It doesn’t appear you’re involved, that so long as you do your job, issues will work out?

Precisely. I attempt to take it in the future at a time.

I’ve heard that about athletes.

Yeah, it’s an excellent factor for all times generally.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post