LoToJa crowns new winners in 40th annual bike race

Men’s relay team at the finish line in Teton Viliage. Left to Right: Jacob Jepsen, Brighton Stromberg, Matt Jepsen, Thomas Justice and Jeff Justice.

Contributors within the 2022 LoToJa biking race cross the end line in Jackson, Wyoming. This 12 months’s race was the fortieth staging of the favored occasion.

Courtesy Glenn Seninger

JACKSON, Wyo. — On a day that noticed cyclists endure smoke-filled air and difficult street development, the fortieth iteration of the LoToJa Traditional, as soon as once more delivered a memorable day for all these concerned. Particularly for the general winners.

John Borstelmann crossed the end line in first place, with the quickest general time of 8:41:47 simply edging out final 12 months’s winner Nathan Spratt with a dash end. 

The winner within the girls’s competitors was Aileen Pannecoucke of Pocatello with a time of 9:58:00. Pannecoucke completed in second place in final 12 months’s race.

However for the small group of cyclists that had the great fortune of profitable their division, way more riders have been making the experience from Logan to Jackson to realize a private purpose. Like Matt Jepsen of Salt Lake Metropolis, a four-time LoToJa finisher who was using in a relay.

“For me the environment of the race couldn’t have been higher,” Jepsen mentioned throughout his cease in Preston. “At the moment I get to experience with my household and pals and have an awesome reminiscence to share with them that can final lengthy after this race is over. For me, being with my son and son-in-law was a spotlight of the day.”

To higher perceive the spirit and feeling of what Jepsen skilled, it’s vital to know the origins of LoToJa and its first-ever race winner, Bob VanSlyke.

Race co-founder Dave Bern remembers how it began and when he first met VanSlyke.

“I used to spend so much of time snowboarding at Beaver Mountain whereas I used to be going to Utah State. So after a protracted day on the mountain, I'd drive house and I'd see this man using his bike down Logan Canyon, in the course of winter. I assumed, that's one robust man,” Bern remembers.

Bern later met VanSlyke, who labored as a raise operator on the resort.

“Bob is absolutely the one who's answerable for LoToJa,” Bern mentioned. “Once I first met Bob he was working as a liftie on Harry’s Dream chair. I discussed to him that a group of us have been going to place collectively a race from Logan to Jackson Gap, and I requested if he wished to experience it with us? Bob checked out me and mentioned, “Yeah, sounds good.”

“Bob’s toughness and dedication is what impressed me to coach tougher for that first race.” Bern mentioned.

VanSlyke, who now lives in Colorado, remembers when he was first approached with the concept of using from Logan to Jackson. “It was a really distinctive sort of race thought with that distance. At the moment, I assumed it could be a great way to remain in form.”

VanSlyke grew up in Lake Placid, New York, and got here to Logan to go to Utah State. He beloved to ski, and admitted he used biking as a great way to remain in form for snowboarding.

“I labored the lifts for some extra cash and I'd experience my bike to remain in form in the course of the winter months,” he remembers. “I used to be simply in search of a strategy to get in my miles, and LoToJa was the reply.”  

Bern, who simply accomplished his thirty sixth LoToJa, remembers the primary race in vivid element.

“On race day, I noticed Bob sitting on the curb earlier than the beginning of the experience. He was in entrance of Dawn Biking, consuming some kind of pastry and consuming orange juice. I seen his bike was a gorgeous Orange and Crimson shade combine,” Bern mentioned.

VanSlyke’s account of race day remains to be a fond reminiscence. “I used to be using a Trek 960 street bike on the time. It was an awesome bike and quick. It allowed me to coach for these longer rides as a result of that’s what I did within the winter.”

The unique LoToJa race had simply seven riders courageous sufficient to tackle the problem.

“On the first LoToJa there was a tandem bike at first and I assumed, that is nice, I’ll simply draft behind the tandem riders all the way in which to Jackson,” VanSlyke remembers. “Then on our first climb, I noticed that wasn’t going to occur and that blew my plan away.”  

Because it turned out, VanSlyke had such a commanding lead within the first race as a consequence of his distinctive winter coaching and a powerful tailwind by Star Valley, that his assist crew couldn’t catch as much as him. This left VanSlyke with nothing to eat or drink for a lot of miles. So he needed to provide you with a brand new plan. 

“My secret weapon for profitable the primary LoToJa was once I received to Soda Springs I used to be in search of one thing to eat, so I ended on the Arctic Circle and had one of the best bag of french fries in my life. That gave me the gasoline I wanted all the way in which to Jackson. No bonk, it was one of the best gasoline for me,” VanSlyke mentioned.

VanSlyke completed the primary race in just below 9 hours, one thing Bern will always remember.

“I keep in mind using up Snake River Canyon, realizing that I nonetheless had 40 miles to go till I reached Jackson Gap, and I seen a automotive coming the opposite path headed towards Logan and I seemed over and it was Bob along with his bike on the again. I then realized that Bob had already completed the race and was headed again to Logan,” Bern mentioned.

“I really feel very fortunate to have received the primary LoToJa. I had a 1-in-7 likelihood in profitable that 12 months. At the moment it's important to beat out a a lot bigger group of aggressive riders, a lot of these have been coaching all 12 months for this occasion, which makes it very tough to win,” VanSlyke mentioned. “I simply wished to get to Jackson Gap identical to everybody else.”

Nice recommendation from the primary winner to all LoToJa riders. Simply make it to Jackson Gap is the purpose.

For race outcomes, go right here.

Glenn Seninger lives in Salt Lake Metropolis and is a fourteen -time LoToJa finisher.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post