Linebacker Max Tooley brings humor, hitting ability and ball skills to Cougars’ defense

BYU linebacker Max Tooley scores a pick-six in BYU’s season opener against USF on Saturday.

BYU linebacker Max Tooley scores a pick-six within the Cougars’ opener in opposition to USF on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.

Robert W. Grover, for the Deseret Information

Max Tooley wasn’t going to let this one slip via his fingers, like a couple of did throughout BYU’s preseason coaching camp final month.

In order the display go thrown by South Florida quarterback Gerry Bohanon fluttered a bit en path to a operating again, the safety-turned-linebacker from Bountiful Excessive seized the second, altered his unique plan.

He ripped the ball away from the would-be pass-catcher, secured it with two arms, after which streaked to the tip zone for the primary pick-six of his five-year profession in Provo.

“I noticed a play yesterday on that very same kind of play, (the defender) laid him out. I used to be like, ‘Dang, it might be cool to try this.’ In order that was positively in my head. However once I noticed the ball was accessible, I used to be like, ‘I gotta capitalize on this.’” — BYU linebacker Max Tooley on his interception return for a landing

“I had an instinct that it was going to go to the sphere (aspect), and as soon as I noticed my man, the again, exit into the backfield, on that little swing route, I simply dedicated to it,” Tooley stated, describing the play after the Cougars’ 50-21 win over the Bulls.

“I noticed a play yesterday on that very same kind of play, (the defender) laid him out. I used to be like, ‘Dang, it might be cool to try this.’ In order that was positively in my head. However once I noticed the ball was accessible, I used to be like, ‘I gotta capitalize on this.’

Capitalize he did, which sums up Tooley’s time at BYU. Stars equivalent to Keenan Pili and Payton Wilgar get extra publicity, and the affable Ben Bywater will get extra interview requests. However the unsung element to one of many higher linebacker teams in head coach Kalani Sitake’s tenure at BYU is Tooley, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound playmaker recruited as a security and moved backwards and forwards from one spot to a different a number of instances.

“I haven’t had (an interception return for a landing) since highschool,” Tooley stated. “I've wished one in faculty. There was simply that chance, I suppose.”

Tooley’s fourth profession interception and first landing gave the Cougars a 21-0 lead. He completed the day with 5 tackles, second solely to defensive again Jacob Boren’s six.

“That was an superior play,” BYU defensive coordinator Ilaisa Tuiaki stated on his “Coordinators’ Nook” program Monday. “The way in which that Max performed it was simply good. That’s his man within the protection. He sheltered, which we like him to do if they're operating slants or (the like). He simply picked the fitting second and introduced it dwelling for us.”

When BYU launched its offseason depth chart final June, Tooley was listed as a co-starter on the flash linebacker spot with former four-star recruit Chaz Ah You. However Ah You is seemingly going to redshirt, leaving Tooley because the clearcut starter shifting ahead.

Saturday, he solidified that promotion, and will probably be an enormous a part of the No. 21 Cougars’ recreation plan this week when they host No. 9 Baylor at LaVell Edwards Stadium (8:15 p.m. MDT, ESPN).

“I really feel like I've (earned the spot),” Tooley stated. “Flash is an effective spot for me. I'm a bit undersized as a linebacker, so I've to make use of my pace to my benefit. I've performed it earlier than. … I really feel comfy there.”

After lacking the opener final 12 months in opposition to Arizona with an undisclosed harm, Tooley performed within the subsequent 12 video games and completed with 68 tackles — second solely to Bywater’s 102. Tooley and Bywater had been pressed into extra enjoying time than anticipated after Pili sustained a season-ending knee harm in Week 3 in opposition to Arizona State.

Then Wilgar — who completed with 56 tackles — missed the final three video games after having shoulder surgical procedure.

Tooley stated he entered the offseason considering this season is perhaps his final, so he desires to make it his finest.

“This offseason I simply wished to remove all of the distractions, the issues that didn’t matter as a lot in the direction of my efficiency within the recreation, and simply belief that I understand how to play soccer,” he stated. “I believe I used to be figuring it out on the finish of final 12 months. I simply wished to hold on to that and play a bit extra free, finally.”

Up to now, so good. However not after couple of drops in August.

“, I really feel like this (fall) camp I've missed a few picks that I shouldn’t have,” he stated. “I've kinda been (fretting over) that. However I stated to myself this entire week coming as much as the sport: “‘Whether it is in my arms, there isn't a manner I'm going to drop it.’”

He didn’t. 

Tooley stated he principally performed on offense in highschool, so he developed “respectable” arms catching the ball out of the backfield for legendary Bountiful coach Larry Wall. 

Not making performs “was in my head so much, initially of my profession,” he stated. “I believe I've been capable of simply play relaxed and never be so harassed and tightened up. Having my coaches’ belief has helped so much. They belief in me. I've been wholesome so it has been good to return in and have the ability to take that function.”

Tooley was a Deseret Information Class 4A All-State first group choice in 2015 as a defensive participant. However he was simply as deserving on the offensive aspect of the ball, dashing for 1,550 yards and 16 touchdowns his last two seasons.

After a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to London (South), England, he performed in 4 video games in 2018 however was capable of name it a redshirt 12 months. In 2019, he performed in all 13 video games, and had 48 tackles. However it was an interception in opposition to Washington that BYU followers will keep in mind probably the most.

Tooley picked off UW QB Jacob Eason and returned the ball 33 yards. Nevertheless, he mistook the 5-yard line for the objective line and tried to stretch the ball over the 5 earlier than dropping it. 

Thankfully for him, officers dominated his knee had hit the bottom earlier than the ball got here out, however that didn’t save him from some relentless ribbing from his teammates.

“I had some good laughs with my buddies and teammates over that, but it surely was all good as a result of we scored,” he stated the next summer time. “It was an enormous reduction.”

No one was laughing or teasing Saturday.

“All of the ’backers have good ball abilities,” Tuiaki stated. “At one level a pair years in the past (2019) they had been main the group in interceptions. So I'm glad (Tooley) didn’t come across that one.”

Defensive deal with Lorenzo Fauatea stated if there's one man who can chortle at his personal errors on the group, it's Tooley.

“Max is an effective man. He’s one in all my buddies. He's simply a type of guys who's simply quiet, however then he'll say some random issues and begin chuckling for no motive,” Fauatea stated. “All people was glad and excited for him. He’s labored laborious this entire camp that we simply had. His laborious work paid off with the choose six that he simply had.”


Cougars on the air

No. 9 Baylor (1-0) at No. 21 BYU (1-0).

Saturday, 8:15 p.m. MDT.

LaVell Edwards Stadium.

Provo, Utah.

TV: ESPN.

Radio: KSL Newsradio 102.7 FM/1160 AM.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post