As George McCaskey embarks on the seek for the primary new Chicago Bears President in additional than twenty years — and the primary one he can have employed personally — he’s protecting prospects open.
The Bears Chairman mentioned members of the search workforce, who had been assembled to discover a substitute for retiring President and CEO Ted Phillips, are “not locked right into a enterprise or soccer particular person.”
They’re open to each in-house and exterior candidates.
They’re not going to rent or remove somebody primarily based on their availability to hitch the workforce by Phillips’ retirement date of Feb. 28.
And they might contemplate a candidate who doesn’t have expertise with a stadium challenge just like the one the Bears are exploring in Arlington Heights, if that particular person might rent the suitable folks to guide it.
So what precisely are the Bears on the lookout for?
“Management, imaginative and prescient, humility, consensus constructing,” McCaskey mentioned.
McCaskey and Phillips sat down with the Tribune and Chicago Solar-Occasions in a Halas Corridor convention room Friday to debate Phillips’ announcement final week that he'll retire on the finish of the 2022 season after 40 years with the workforce and 23 as president.
The Bears’ search workforce has been established: McCaskey, Phillips, Bears senior vp of range, fairness and inclusion Tanesha Wade and search agency Nolan Companions. McCaskey mentioned the group has delved deep into discussions, however he doesn’t count on the workforce to announce interviews alongside the best way, because it did with teaching and common supervisor candidates within the winter.
McCaskey desires to maintain an open thoughts in regards to the qualifications of Phillips’ successor, however Phillips added a number of extra particulars about what he thinks the Bears ought to search for, past “Ted 2.0,” as McCaskey joked.
“Somebody that may make robust choices,” Phillips mentioned. “Somebody who can deal with a variety of completely different balls within the air each day as a result of day-after-day is completely different. Somebody who understands what it means to be a Bear. Tradition right here is vital.
“Somebody that’s capable of cope with completely different personalities from politicians to enterprise leaders to the media. It’s not simple, so we want somebody who can perceive all these completely different dynamics. Somebody who can groom youthful folks. I take into consideration that as a result of I obtained a variety of nice alternatives once I was youthful and thru my complete profession, clearly. So I like that, and I believe that’s vital for somebody to have the ability to are available in and pay attention greater than they discuss and study from others, together with those that aren’t on the similar degree as them.”
McCaskey did reveal one different most notable element of the Bears’ plans: “We don’t anticipate any change within the construction.”
Meaning McCaskey doesn't count on the Bears to create separate presidents of enterprise and soccer operations. Whether or not the brand new president has each enterprise and soccer expertise, nevertheless, is feasible.
It’s an element that will likely be carefully watched as a result of it was one of many important criticisms of Phillips’ profession, which has been marked by the Bears’ monetary progress but in addition a 177-192 regular-season file.
‘I don’t have regrets’
Phillips has heard and skim the road over time. The person who began his profession in finance politely appeared to confess it rankles him just a little bit.
“Everybody says I’m not a soccer man. It makes me chuckle just a little bit,” Phillips mentioned. “I’m not a coach. I’m not an evaluator. I’ve been within the enterprise for 40 years, and I believe I’ve realized just a little bit. I’ve by no means made the choices of who ought to coach and who ought to play. So I assume that’s what I’m saying, the those that write that, I don’t fairly perceive it. However it’s OK.”
His critics would have been centered on that much less if the Bears had gained extra below Phillips.
Since Phillips was employed in 1999 to interchange Michael McCaskey, the Bears have made six playoff appearances, had 12 shedding seasons and haven’t gained a playoff recreation because the 2010 season. That they had one Tremendous Bowl look within the 2006 season.
Phillips has guided loads of enterprise progress, together with the 2002-03 Soldier Area renovations, the growth of Halas Corridor and the exploration of the previous Arlington Worldwide Racecourse property as a website for a brand new stadium.
And McCaskey mentioned he appreciated Phillips’ skill to make robust choices and deal with numerous personalities.
However Phillips’ tenure all the time will likely be clouded by the Bears not profitable sufficient, and questions stay about whether or not Phillips might have completed something otherwise to assist the final managers that reported to him and higher arrange the workforce for fulfillment on the sector.
“I don’t have regrets. I don’t function that method,” Phillips mentioned. “Am I disillusioned? Completely. We haven’t been capable of finding a persistently profitable workforce. We’ve had moments of success which have been actually enjoyable to be round, however whether or not or not the construction would have made a distinction, I’m not satisfied that it could. I believe you want a soccer decision-maker, which we’ve all the time had. And sooner or later that particular person all the time reviews as much as possession.”
The criticisms peaked after a January 2021 information convention through which McCaskey and Phillips mentioned retaining former GM Ryan Tempo and coach Matt Nagy for the subsequent season.
Phillips was requested then about the place to attract the road when leaders make missteps. In a prolonged quote through which he talked about believing within the soccer tradition Tempo and Nagy created, Phillips uttered a number of sentences that turned fodder for Bears ire throughout Chicago.
“Have we gotten the quarterback scenario utterly proper? No. Have we gained sufficient video games? No. The whole lot else is there,” Phillips mentioned.
On Friday, Phillips maintained the remainder of the quote was wanted for correct context, noting he was speaking about how Tempo and Nagy “introduced a variety of good issues to the group.” However he additionally acknowledged one of many greatest issues of the Tempo period.
“A few of the errors that had been made had been high-profile errors,” Phillips mentioned. “These are robust to come back again from. The Achilles’ heel, the one factor I’d change: Get the quarterback proper, please. That’s what I’d change. It hurts once you see. … I believe because the (1985) Tremendous Bowl 12 months there’s been 45 completely different beginning quarterbacks. OK? It’s disappointing. Hopefully, we’ve obtained that proper now.”
Phillips additionally hopes the Bears have it proper with new common supervisor Ryan Poles, whom the Bears requested to report on to McCaskey as Phillips focuses on the stadium challenge.
Phillips credited Poles with placing collectively employees, which incorporates the Bears’ first assistant common supervisor in Ian Cunningham.
And that’s the place Phillips provided reflection on what might have been completed with the opposite GMs earlier than Poles — and what a workforce president might do sooner or later.
“Would I do one thing otherwise? No. Perhaps encourage previous GMs to verify they’ve obtained the suitable folks in place who can have a variety of affect and take heed to them,” Phillips mentioned. “Once more, we’ve taken the strategy that the GM is the ultimate decision-maker. I don’t see that being a problem in the event that they make the suitable selections going ahead.”
‘Exhausting to say no’
Phillips mentioned he needed to offer himself the present of time, so when he retires, his first plan is to “take a breath.”
“It’s a high-pressure job and I needed to retire once I nonetheless felt good, bodily and mentally. And I do,” he mentioned. “In order that was vital to me, to start out a brand new chapter.”
The truth that all the Arlington stadium and leisure district challenge might take 10 or extra years to finish was another excuse Phillips thought-about leaving when he did.
McCaskey and Phillips regularly referenced how a lot work there may be to be completed earlier than the Bears can shut on the property and develop it, although McCaskey let on his enthusiasm when requested in regards to the Bears’ alternative to construct their very own dwelling after taking part in for many years at Wrigley Area and Soldier Area — venues not initially constructed for his or her workforce.
“That is our 100-year alternative to design it for us,” McCaskey mentioned.
Because the Bears work on closing on the property doubtlessly at the start of 2023, Phillips and McCaskey mentioned they haven't but designed the stadium and haven't accomplished their monetary evaluation of potential funding for the multibillion greenback challenge. And they're removed from figuring out finer particulars reminiscent of what is going to occur to private seat license holders, although Phillips mentioned, “We'll provide you with a plan that we hope will likely be useful to the long-term PSL holders we at present have.”
However Phillips believes the handoff of the challenge to a brand new president gained’t be tough and mentioned there are various different Bears workers engaged on numerous points that may assist the transition.
“I consider, I hope, that by the point I retire this challenge will likely be in a spot the place we all know if we’re going to shut, perhaps we've closed, hopefully we've closed,” Phillips mentioned. “And that there’s a path to the place we wish to go, both growing or not growing. If I can get to that time, then the remainder of it, we’ve obtained good those that know what’s occurred, and I’ll be sure the transition is clean. I’ve promised George that.”
Nonetheless, Phillips mentioned he and McCaskey have touched on the concept of Phillips consulting with the Bears on the stadium challenge past his retirement date.
“If it is smart for the Bears and for me, I’d contemplate it,” Phillips mentioned. “It’s exhausting to say no once you’ve been someplace for 40 years.”
Added McCaskey: “It is smart for the Bears.”
So even after the work of discovering his substitute is finished, Phillips could be sticking round a bit longer.
()