Recently released SF Giants minor leaguer comes out as gay on Instagram

Minor league pitcher Solomon Bates got here out Tuesday as homosexual in an Instagram put up shortly after being launched by the Giants.

The previous eighth-round pick of USC who most not too long ago was at Double-A Richmond mentioned in his put up that he was “nonetheless in shock” about being launched from the group, however that he wouldn’t let it hold him from urgent on towards his MLB dream.

“Being homosexual on this sport you don’t know what comes at you!” he wrote. “I thank the [G]iants for giving me the chance to be myself and go on the market and play the sport that I really like essentially the most.”

Bates was within the midst of his fifth skilled season after being drafted by the Giants in 2018. He highlighted his profession and season stats in his Instagram put up, exhibiting that he was having fun with career-best figures in earned-run common (3.74 vs. 4.30 profession) and WHIP (1.131 vs. 1.349) earlier than being launched.

Bates has made 23 appearances at Double-A and two on the rookie-ball stage this season, nearly solely as a reliever.

In response to Outsports, a web site targeted on the intersection between sports activities and the LGBTQ+ group, Bates is the second lively minor league participant to return out publicly after former Brewers prospect David Denson mentioned in 2015 that he was homosexual.

Former Giants minor leaguer Kieran Lovegrove got here out as bisexual as he was getting ready to retire on the finish of final season. No lively main leaguer has come out as homosexual, although ex-A’s outfielder Glenn Burke was outed throughout his professional profession and has mentioned that prejudice drove him out of the sport.

Bates vowed in his put up to proceed striving to succeed in the majors, advocating for the homosexual group alongside the best way: “I’m nonetheless going to open up doorways for homosexual athletes like me. Nonetheless will attempt to be one of many biggest to do it. I ended on a excessive be aware from getting damage to going on the market and pitching my ass off. Baseball I’m not carried out with you. I’m leaving on my phrases and my phrases solely.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post