Mexican lineman Alfredo Gutierrez wins 49ers’ game ball for NFL debut

MINNEAPOLIS — Alfredo Gutiérrez crooned “I like the sensation, I find it irresistible, man” as he walked off a NFL discipline Saturday for the primary time in a game-used 49ers jersey.

As soon as contained in the 49ers’ victorious locker room, Gutiérrez obtained the ceremonial sport ball from coach Kyle Shanahan, a poignant gesture to have fun a debut that was a long-time coming. Gutierrez, a local of Tijuana, Mexico, joined the 49ers final 12 months by means of the NFL’s Worldwide Participant Pathway program.

“Rapidly, I didn’t know what to say. I mentioned no matter was on my thoughts,”  Gutierrez recalled of his locker room speech. “I wished to say, ‘Congratulations to the entire crew.’ However I mentioned, ‘Congratulations to me. And thanks to the blokes.’

“I nearly mentioned it in Spanish. I nearly forgot English for a second. I used to be fairly nervous, shaking a little bit bit.”

That's much like how he felt earlier than coming into the 17-7 preseason affair towards the host Minnesota Vikings. He lined up at left sort out for the ultimate 4 offensive snaps.

“Guys had been pumped up,” Shanahan mentioned. “It was his first time enjoying so we wished to present him (the sport ball). He’s been nice having him round right here. He’s everybody’s greatest pal on the crew and helps us out all through the week, too.”

“They mentioned to remain prepared, like each sport,” Gutierrez added. “However they informed me on the finish I used to be going to go in. So, , butterflies within the abdomen, began getting glad, my mouth began getting dry, however, lastly, yeah, I acquired in.”

Gutierrez didn't play final preseason and spent all 12 months on the follow squad, the place he’s assured a spot this season. The 6-foot-9, uncooked challenge performed soccer his final two years at Montgomery Excessive Faculty in San Diego earlier than returning to Mexico and successful a university soccer championship there, at Monterrey Tech.

Has he improved on the backside of a depth chart topped by All-Professional Trent Williams?

“I’m loads higher, because of all people, my teammates, and particularly coach (Chris Foerster), who’s been on my butt,” Gutierrez mentioned. “I’m a distinct participant. I nonetheless have loads to be taught and enhance on, however I’m a distinct participant now.”

He’s a participant affectionately nicknamed, ‘Fredo.

As for Shanahan’s line about Gutierrez being “everybody’s greatest pal,” a number of gamers endorsed it, together with defensive linemen who oppose him in follow however endear him off the sector.

“Once I had an issue just a few weeks in the past, he was proper there by my aspect, ensuring I used to be cool and the whole lot like that. Man, massive ups to him for getting some precise enjoying time.”

Jackson, by advantage of his rookie standing, mentioned he’s routinely practiced towards Gutierrez in drills and might see his progress. As for Gutierrez’s debut, Jackson added: “That’s a fantastic scene proper there. I used to be so glad after I noticed him go on the market (Saturday).”

Defensive sort out Javon Kinlaw echoed these sentiments: “Bro, sure, I do know Alfredo. That’s my man. He’d inform you a similar factor.”

Gutierrez can thank rookie security Tayler Hawkins for getting him into the offensive huddle. Hawkins made an interception on the 49ers’ 4-yard line with 2:31 remaining.

“That’s why I used to be pumped to get that ball again. I assumed we had been going to should kneel it,” Shanahan mentioned.

As a substitute, rookie Jordan Mason ran 6 yards round the proper edge (and away from Gutierrez’s aspect), however then got here a bounce play and Mason took Brock Purdy’s toss then fellowed Gutierrez’s lead for a 10-yard acquire.

“Lastly, man. It took one 12 months,” Gutierrez mentioned as he walked off the U.S. Financial institution Stadium discipline. “Fairly cool, man. Fairly cool. I like the sensation. I find it irresistible, man.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post