Don’t fall for too dangerous freeway scam and keep on moving: Roadshow

Q: After studying your column relating to the scammer on the Interstate 280 to 880 flyover, I felt compelled to answer. This simply occurred to a buddy of mine in San Mateo.

A well-dressed man in a pleasant Mercedes-Benz flagged him down on the freeway on-ramp/off-ramp at 101 and third Avenue. The person virtually jumped in entrance of my buddy’s truck! My buddy, who needed to swerve to keep away from hitting him, stopped.

The flagger had a sob story about how he ran out of gasoline and was going to overlook his flight to Miami. My buddy was gullible sufficient to offer him $120 for a gold ring and necklace the scammer provided, saying that the ring, alone, was price over $1,000.

Too good to be true? It was. The jewellery was junk. Motorists beware.

Chris Warne, San Mateo

A: And…

Q: I used to be getting on 280 North by way of 17, and noticed a driver on the aspect of the on-ramp, gesturing for others to cease. Following my pure intuition to be useful, I ended forward of him and turned on my hazard lights. He was dressed effectively and wore a number of gold chains and huge gold rings. He stated he had run out of gasoline, misplaced his pockets, and provided an clearly pretend gold ring in alternate for gasoline cash. He was not threatening, however I refused to assist and drove away, mentally kicking myself for having stopped. I’ve discovered my lesson. If they're actually in hassle, they'll name the police for assist.

Nameless

A: That is extremely harmful. By no means cease alongside the freeway. Name 911 if you wish to assist somebody in doable misery, or to report considered one of these potential roadside scams.

Q: Is it authorized in California to have a sticker for a entrance license plate? I personal a Tesla 3 and am reluctant to connect the state-issued metallic license plate.

Bob Leuten

A: In 2013, Senate Invoice 806 created a pilot program to permit using a license plate wrap in lieu of a entrance metallic license plate. This system expires on January 1, 2023. Just one firm, License Plate Wrap, licenseplatewrap.com, is at present DMV-approved to offer the wraps.

Q: Just a few weeks in the past, I noticed one other horrific accident on the Mission exit off southbound 680. There's a easy answer that will cease drivers from chopping into the road on the final second. Caltrans ought to set up a tough cement wall, beginning 1/2 mile earlier than the exit. Easy, sensible, low price, lengthy overdue, and no line of vehicles to dive-bomb.

Joseph Weinstein, Milpitas

A: I perceive your level about needing an answer right here. A safer different may be a protracted row of pylons as a concrete barrier may additionally result in harmful crashes.

Search for Gary Richards at Fb.com/mr.roadshow or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post