A nonetheless from “Easter Sunday” starring comic Jo Koy. Getty Photos
A nonetheless from “Easter Sunday” that includes (from left) Tito Manny (Joey Guila), Regina (Elena Juatco), Eugene (Eugene Cordero), Joe Valencia (Jo Koy), Tita Teresa (Tia Carrere), Tita Yvonne (Melody Butiu) and Susan (Lydia Gaston), directed by Jay Chandrasekhar. Getty Photos
A nonetheless from “easter Sunday” that includes (from left) Susan (Lydia Gaston) and Joe Valencia (Jo Koy) in Easter Sunday, directed by Jay Chandrasekhar. Getty Photos
“Easter Sunday” has a PG-13 score.
Comic Jo Koy’s debut movie “Easter Sunday,” coming to theaters Aug. 5, is one thing he’s extremely happy with — for multiple purpose.
His stand-up comedy reveals, which promote out arenas, highlight his private tales of his household and Filipino tradition. It wasn’t till Steven Spielberg bought concerned that Koy lastly bought an opportunity to inform these tales on the large display, and he’s bringing his humorous pals with him.
The all-star comedic forged contains Jimmy O. Yang (“Silicon Valley”), Tia Carrere (“True Lies”), Brandon Wardell (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), Eva Noblezada (Broadway’s “Hadestown”), Lydia Gaston (Broadway’s “The King and I”), Asif Ali (“WandaVision”), Rodney To (“Parks and Recreation”), Eugene Cordero (“The Good Place”), Jay Chandrasekhar (“I Love You, Man”), Tiffany Haddish (“Women Journey”) and Lou Diamond Phillips (“Braveness Underneath Fireplace”).
The story follows Joe Valencia (Koy) who returns dwelling for Easter to his loving, however a bit of erratic, household. Over the course of the film, they bicker, eat, drink, giggle and untangle the drama within the family.
Steven Spielberg is a Jo Koy fan?
Koy confesses that each time he tells the story, it seems like a fairytale. After Spielberg noticed the comic within the 2019 comedy particular “Comin’ in Scorching” (which is rated TV-MA), Amblin Companions — the “Jurassic Park” director’s manufacturing firm — bought in contact with him.
“I believed it was a basic assembly. We stroll in and each different particular person’s like ‘Steven’s a fan!’ I’m like, ‘Are we speaking about Steven from accounting? Who're we speaking about?’” he instructed the Deseret Information. “The subsequent factor , they’re like, ‘It’s Steven Spielberg. He’s an enormous fan. Do you've any film concepts?’”
That’s what birthed “Easter Sunday.” As quickly because the story was pitched, the studio purchased it. Then got here hiring writers, shopping for the script, trying to find a director, scouting places and, lastly, capturing the film.

A nonetheless from “Easter Sunday” that includes (from left) Tito Manny (Joey Guila), Regina (Elena Juatco), Eugene (Eugene Cordero), Joe Valencia (Jo Koy), Tita Teresa (Tia Carrere), Tita Yvonne (Melody Butiu) and Susan (Lydia Gaston), directed by Jay Chandrasekhar.
Getty Photos
“All of the characters are loosely primarily based on my life story and what I do on stage. ‘Easter Sunday’ got here up as a result of I’m an enormous fan of Easter and so was my household,” mentioned Koy in regards to the root of the thought.
Not solely is that this an all-Asian forged in a movie produced by a significant studio, but it surely’s additionally Koy’s first massive film, after capturing two specials for Comedy Central and 4 for Netflix (a few of that are rated TV-MA). Carrere and Gaston, who play Koy’s aunt and mom within the movie, coached the comic and guided him by the method.
“It was such a blessing as a result of they have been so open and prepared to assist me,” he mentioned.
‘She knocked it out of the park,’ says Koy about Gaston enjoying his mom
The comic already knew he needed Carrere connected to the undertaking, however “Lydia (Gaston) simply fell in our fingers” after she crushed the audition, he mentioned, calling Gaston “the backbone of this film.”
These acquainted with Koy’s stand-up routine find out about his most fun character — his mom.
“The character on stage is actually spot on. I embellish a bit of bit, however I’m giving my sincere interpretation of my mother, and actually not holding again it doesn't matter what the subject is, and I feel that’s why (folks) fall in love with that character a lot,” he mentioned.
In response to Koy, Gaston took on the function and gave it her personal spin, whereas additionally staying true to who Koy’s mom is by mimicking sounds and cadence.
“She knocked it out of the park,” mentioned Koy. At occasions, Gaston performed the a part of his mom so effectively that it made the expertise really feel surreal for the brand new actor.
“There have been a few scenes the place I used to be like, ‘Whoa, that is too near dwelling proper now,’” he confessed, referencing emotion-heavy and confrontational scenes with Gaston.
A forged stuffed with jokesters
Joey Guila, who performs the function of Tito Manny, is Koy’s greatest good friend.
“He opens for me in all places. I’ve recognized him because the day I got here to LA to be a comic book,” he mentioned.
In the meantime, Eugene Cordero, who performs Joe’s cousin, is one other actor on set of whom Koy speaks fondly. “What an outstanding expertise he's,” he mentioned, including, that Cordero is “one other angel” for him.

A nonetheless from “easter Sunday” that includes (from left) Susan (Lydia Gaston) and Joe Valencia (Jo Koy) in Easter Sunday, directed by Jay Chandrasekhar.
Getty Photos
“I had so many scenes with (Cordero). I might simply take a look at him like, ‘Come on, Eugene. Inform me what I gotta do, man. How will we hit this scene?’ It was enjoyable to only play forwards and backwards with him,” mentioned Koy with a large smile.
As for the scene stealer, it was Rodney To, enjoying Tito Arthur. If he was on the decision sheet, Koy mentioned that he and the crew knew it was going to be To’s second.
“I really like having the ability to simply sit again and simply be the straight man in it. Simply let everybody dance round me,” he mentioned. “And that was superior.”
To Koy, Filipinos are simply humorous folks and “love the joke it doesn't matter what.” However other than the one-liners, he mentioned there was additionally lot of singing on set.
Even the crew admitted that melodies in between filming scenes was a primary — the forged would sing something from Kenny Rogers to Whitney Houston, mentioned Koy.
“We’re getting music movies in between takes as a result of they couldn’t cease singing. It was a lot enjoyable,” he mentioned.
What’s subsequent for comic Jo Koy?
After filming tons of comedy specials, Koy has moved on to greater issues, like this film. What does he need to do now that the film’s completed?
“Extra films, extra films, extra films,” he mentioned. “We’re gonna maintain that door open. I’m not gonna let the door shut. I’m gonna maintain that door open. And simply maintain letting , folks with voices stroll by that don’t get an opportunity to be heard — not simply Filipinos, however simply everybody.”
“On prime of that, I need to produce. I need to direct and work on the artistic aspect as effectively,” Koy mentioned. “In order that’s what’s gonna occur.”