Coming into Yr 10 of his skilled soccer profession, former UCF operating again Latavius Murray has a message for the NFL.
“I’m prepared certainly bodily,” Murray, who’s gone unsigned this offseason, informed the Orlando Sentinel.
Murray has spent the summer time understanding at UCF with different present NFL gamers comparable to Inexperienced Bay Packers receiver Sammy Watkins and a pair of former Knights in Tre’Quan Smith of the New Orleans Saints and Buffalo Payments wideout Gabriel Davis.
Murray appreciates UCF coach Gus Malzahn permitting him to coach at his old skool, the place he performed from 2008-12.
“Gus has made it identified that he desires us again and it’s an open-door coverage,” Murray stated. “For the previous gamers to have the ability to have a spot to coach and exercise and be round among the gamers which can be right here now, it’s a cool scenario.”
The group of professional athletes have educated below Bert Whigham, who works carefully with Davis and different NFL gamers.
Murray, who spent final season with the Baltimore Ravens on a one-year deal, stated this offseason has been in contrast to others. With NFL coaching camps across the league beginning this week, it’s the longest Murray has gone as a free agent.
“I’ve been making an attempt to be taught to understand the time that I've residence with my household and recognize not having the calls for of OTAs and minicamp,” he stated. “Simply ensuring I’m prepared when the time comes.”
Murray believes that point may come quickly.
“As soon as coaching camps begins up, there’ll be numerous strikes being made,” he stated. “The unlucky a part of the enterprise is there’ll be accidents.”
“So who is aware of how the rosters find yourself shaking out? We all know the sport.”
Throughout his 9 years within the league, Murray has change into a sturdy operating again. Exterior of an ankle damage that saved him sidelined for his rookie season, he’s missed simply six video games within the following eight seasons.
He leads all NFL operating backs with 107 video games performed since 2015, in accordance with CBS Sports activities. No different operating again has performed greater than 100 video games in that span.
Murray stated he’s grown lots mentally and bodily since his school days in Orlando.
“I’ve at all times felt in my profession that I may proceed to be higher and discover methods to be higher,” he stated. “I’ve achieved that over time. That’s what I’ve been in a position to do within the NFL — proceed to enhance my sport in ways in which I haven’t beforehand.”
Though he’s staying in form this summer time, Murray has needed to proceed to attend with the NFL season approaching.
“It’s been irritating for certain,” he stated about nonetheless being a free agent at this level in July.
Murray, nevertheless, is just not waving the white flag on his NFL profession but.
“Once you’re not able to stroll away or you already know you may have some good soccer left to contribute to a staff, that’s simply the exhausting half,” he stated. “Realizing what you may have and realizing what you may nonetheless give however not having the ability to.
“However look, it’s a part of the enterprise.”
Coaching at UCF whereas being round others within the NFL has helped Murray, who totaled 119 carries for 501 yards and a team-high 6 speeding touchdowns in 14 video games with the Baltimore Ravens final yr.
“Lots of people would possibly run into that scenario and perhaps surrender, cease coaching and lose the psychological drive,” he stated. “Fortunately, I’ve had numerous conservations with individuals which can be nonetheless within the league who're simply encouraging [me] simply to remain prepared.
“Proper now, it’s only a ready sport.”
Electronic mail Jason Beede at jbeede@orlandosentinel.com or observe him on Twitter at @therealBeede.
()