A discreet-looking, black Mercedes sprinter van is parked outdoors the mansion of Miami Dolphins’ star broad receiver Tyreek Hill. Upon nearer inspection, nonetheless, it tells its personal story.
Imprinted on one of many blacked-out home windows is the emblem of a menacing hurricane wielding clippers and a pair of scissors. On the again two panes are inscribed the phrases “Barber of the athletes,” and the tires have the van homeowners’ social media deal with “@canesbarber.”
As spectacular as it's on the skin, it solely will get higher contained in the vans’ doorways, a totally purposeful barbershop. Murals of Miami athletes and their memorabilia cowl the partitions, replicas of the UM turnover chains are strung up, and in the course of all of it is a golden throne of a barber chair.
The automobile’s proprietor is Steven Rivera, who has additionally been the crew barber for the Dolphins since 2011. He’s believed to be one of many first, if not the primary barber to have a station arrange inside an NFL crew’s follow facility. Along with the van, gifted to him by shopper and Miami backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, he additionally has his personal store “Sebastian’s,” named after UM’s mascot. In spite of everything, it was a few Miami Hurricanes soccer gamers who actually inspired him to begin creating wealth chopping hair.
“It’s a blessing,” Rivera mentioned. “At all times when gamers are available in and get drafted or traded to the Dolphins, one of many first issues they ask is ‘Who cuts hair properly round right here?’ or ‘What are the recent spots to eat at?’ It’s one of many first belongings you ask coming to the town, and I really feel like that’s fairly cool, [being that guy].”
Ultimately, Hill climbs into the van, sits down on the throne and the haircut begins, sounds of clippers buzzing and lightweight dialog encompass him as Rivera, sporting a Mike Pouncey jersey, offers him a shadow fade, making his hairline as crisp as his route operating.
The truth that Hill is sitting in his chair is proof that Rivera has develop into a foundational piece of the South Florida sports activities group. He has minimize the likes of Professional Soccer Corridor of Famer Deion Sanders, Warmth star Tyler Herro, retired Dolphin Mike Pouncey and plenty of others. Rivera says his providers begin at about $100 and go up, partially relying on how far he must drive.
Rivera has been chopping Hill’s hair for about 4 years. So, when Hill acquired traded to the Dolphins on March 23, discovering a South Florida barber was one much less factor he wanted to fret about, since he was already dwelling in Florida.
“It’s crucial to me,” Hill mentioned of getting a barber he can belief. “Particularly as a result of I’m very big in trend. So, all of my items look good, I additionally want my hair to look good. I want my hair to match with my items; they need to be on the identical wavelength.
“So, Steve, like each time I textual content him, it might be at 3 a.m., he’ll come by. He’ll be like ‘I’m drained however I’m coming,’ so he at all times comes by for me.”
Getting his begin
A Miami native, Rivera, 35, took his first steps in barbering at a younger age. The son of a hairdresser, he would seize shaving razors and attempt to line himself up. Ultimately he started chopping the hair of pals and a few household, however nothing skilled.
Nevertheless, after being let go from his job in legislation enforcement when he was 20, Rivera was at a low level in his life. He took a minimum- wage job at Greatest Purchase. His household was evicted from their house in Cutler Ridge.
That’s when two of his pals, former UM soccer gamers Javarris James and Lance Leggett, helped him take his first huge steps into his skilled profession.
“They have been like ‘Steve, you know the way to chop, we see what you are able to do,’” Rivera recalled. “’Why don’t we simply carry you to campus, you may arrange within the hallways at Mahoney [Hall],’ ― that’s one of many dorm rooms on the College of Miami. … All it took was that one second and me organising in the course of the hallway on the dorm rooms, chopping, and it was like each half-hour somebody needed a haircut. It was a domino impact, and it simply took off from there.”
Forward of a matchup in opposition to the Oklahoma Sooners in 2009, Hurricanes quarterback Jacory Harris had Rivera minimize the phrases “U Swag” into the aspect of his head. After UM’s 21-20 win, then-ESPN reporter Erin Andrews requested Harris who did the design, and he shouted out Rivera on nationwide TV.
From there, phrase of Rivera’s abilities unfold, and he started chopping some gamers from the College of Florida nationwide championship crew, like Pouncey.
Ultimately, Pouncey acquired drafted by the Dolphins and related him with the remainder of the crew, main him to the place he's as we speak.
“I acquired a name from Kaleb Thornhill, on the time he was with participant operations for the Dolphins,” Rivera mentioned. “[He said] ‘You’ve been referred by numerous our gamers that you simply’re the man to go to relating to hair.’ … Man, I hung that telephone up and I used to be in tears. Like that is the second I’ve been ready for.
“And if it wasn’t for Mike Pouncey, Cameron Wake and Lamar Miller, two Hurricanes and one Gator, if it wasn’t for them, I don’t suppose I’d be inside that facility chopping all these gamers and coaches.”
Significance of a barber
As he turned a extra outstanding determine within the athlete barbering scene, Rivera seemed for mentorship.
He turned to legendary Miami barber, Hugo “Juice” Tandron, who has been chopping the hair of Marlins’ gamers since 1993 and have become the official crew barber in 1998. On the time, Tandron was the primary particular person within the MLB to carry that title.
Tandron was keen to assist his younger apprentice and needed to educate him some robust classes alongside the way in which to his success, together with letting him go from his barbershop “Headz Up.”
Now, seeing how far Rivera has come, Tandron can’t assist however be happy with seeing every little thing Rivera has overcome.
“Steve could have numerous religion that numerous barbers don’t have all through the years as he progresses,” Tandron mentioned. “As a result of he’s simply that man, he is aware of deal with individuals the precise approach.”
“I see Steve as a younger me, and that’s what’s nice about it. He isn’t blood, however he’s household. I like him like somewhat brother. I’m tremendous happy with him as a result of that work ethic that he has, no person can take away from him.”
Greater than anybody else, Tandron is aware of the worth of a crew barber and the nice qualities that Rivera brings to the career.
“What we do is a way of life,” he mentioned. “We’re marriage counselors to our shoppers, we’re a shoulder to cry on to our shoppers, psychologists to our shoppers. We accomplish that way more than simply minimize hair.”
Miami endlessly
As Rivera continues chopping Hill’s hair, extra of his tattoos develop into seen. There’s a Warmth emblem on his bicep, the long-lasting “U” for the College of Miami on his leg. Sebastian the Ibis additionally makes an look, as does the 305 space code.
All of the paintings demonstrates his deep connection to Miami and its sports activities groups.
And as he continues to develop and dream of future endeavors, proudly owning retailers and vans in different cities, his coronary heart will at all times be along with his dwelling and its individuals.
“All these guys, Corridor of Famers, professional Hurricanes — I'd put their newspaper clippings in my room like a poster of fellows who I seemed as much as,” Rivera mentioned. “I used to be a diehard fan, nonetheless am. … I by no means thought in one million years that I'd be chopping the likes of Tyreek Hill, Teddy Bridgewater, Deion Sanders. It’s a humbling expertise.”
()