These 3 soccer stars are shining on the field — and sharing their faith

Portland Thorns midfielder Olivia Moulton practices last summer after becoming the youngest-ever NWSL player ever at age 15.

Portland Thorns midfielder Olivia Moulton shoots in apply final summer time after turning into the youngest-ever Nationwide Girls’s Soccer League participant at age 15.

YouTube

Portland Thorns player Olivia Moulton, 16, told an interviewer that she had grown five inches since turning pro at age 13.

Portland Thorns participant Olivia Moulton instructed an interviewer that she had grown 5 inches between turning professional at age 13 and making her Nationwide Girls’s Soccer League debut at age 15 final summer time.

YouTube

From the doorstep of England’s Premier League to the skilled and nationwide staff fields of ladies’s soccer, Latter-day Saint soccer gamers have made information in current months for each enjoying nicely and sharing their religion.

Olivia Moultrie

Olivia Moultrie is 16 years outdated, however she already has scored knowledgeable aim with the Nationwide Girls’s Soccer League’s Portland Thorns. In actual fact, she turned professional when she was 13.

She scored that aim in a match final summer time and she or he’s seen motion in two video games to this point this season. This spring, she scored two targets and had an help to assist lead the U.S. U-20 staff win a regional match that earned it a spot on this yr’s Girls’s World Cup for gamers youthful than 20.

Earlier this yr, Major Common President Bonnie H. Cardon interviewed Moultrie.

Moultrie stated sees herself first not because the youngest skilled ladies’s soccer participant however as a daughter of God. She all the time prays on the sector proper earlier than kickoff.

“I’ve performed it since I used to be 10 years outdated and I’ll do it perpetually,” she stated.

She quoted President Russell M. Nelson’s statements that effort counts with the Lord and stated she tries to remain as near God as doable.

“Persevering with to do the issues we will to be the closest to him, he’ll inform us what he wants us to do,” she stated.

Jon Russell

Yearly, three English soccer groups are promoted from the nation’s second division to switch the three worst groups within the Premier League.

Jon Russell’s helped convey Huddersfield inside a single aim of promotion this spring. Agonizingly, the staff misplaced 1-0 within the closing play-in sport.

Within the course of, Russell was the topic of two main options, one within the Telegraph and the opposite in The Athletic, each of which featured his distinctive place as a Latter-day Saint in British soccer.

The Telegraph known as Russell, who beforehand performed within the Premier League with Chelsea, “English soccer’s solely Mormon.”

“I do know I’m fairly uncommon,” he stated within the story.

“Praying and studying helped calm me down,” Russell stated. “It’s been one of many largest components of my life and now it’s like a pre-game ritual. That's what I've and I really feel God is there serving to me. After I was younger I'd be petrified earlier than video games. Having religion made me assured and fewer scared.”

He went into extra element with The Athletic.

“I keep in mind this time earlier than a sport I used to be studying the E-book of Mormon, and it was the primary time I learn it correctly and felt the scriptures and, in the course of the sport, my nerves simply went (away),” he stated. “I felt a confidence I had by no means felt earlier than after which I knew how necessary my religion was.”

Ashley Hatch

Moultrie isn’t the one Latter-day Saint within the NWSL.

Final yr’s Golden Boot winner because the NWSL’s most prolific aim scorer, Ashley Hatch is again at it once more this yr, with three targets by way of seven video games, good for fifth within the league.

The Spirit are off to a tough begin as defending champions, however Hatch treasured a current alternative to take a number of of her teammates to the Washington D.C. Temple open home.

“I didn’t understand how weak I'd really feel bringing my teammates to the temple,” she instructed the Church Information, “however I actually loved it. They had been all so nice to return and help me.”

My current tales

Police reply to report of hail of bullets at Hill Cumorah Guests’ Middle in New York (June 8)

At Nationwide Press Membership, Elder Bednar responds to questions on church funds, portrayal of church in media (Might 26)

Latter-day Saints mourn over ‘mindless’ taking pictures in Texas, Elder Bednar tells Nationwide Press Membership (Might 26)

The time President Gordon B. Hinckley had the Nationwide Press Membership laughing out loud (Might 25)

In regards to the church

A churchwide broadcast that includes Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf talking about “Educating within the Savior’s Means” shall be launched this weekend. The video will grow to be accessible for livestreaming on Saturday right here. It additionally shall be broadcast on the Church Satellite tv for pc Community and on YouTube.

The church held the groundbreaking for the Burley Idaho Temple.

My colleague Trent Toone wrote a few look again at a Hollywood film a few missionary in this story: “Which extra precisely portrays Latter-day Saints: ‘Underneath the Banner of Heaven’ or ‘The Different Facet of Heaven’?”

A lawsuit has been discovered wherein Joseph Smith filed for the return of church property. Learn extra right here.

Elder Robert L. Backman, an emeritus Common Authority Seventy, has died.

A lady member of the church wrote an essay about how the church was her escape from misogyny and violence.

What I’m studying

I’ve been watching a number of the Girls’s Faculty World Sequence as a result of I coach fastpitch softball. I actually loved studying in regards to the candy, household pleasant custom of what they do with dwelling run balls.

Behind the scenes

Portland Thorns player Olivia Moulton, 16, told an interviewer that she had grown five inches since turning pro at age 13.

Portland Thorns participant Olivia Moulton instructed an interviewer that she had grown 5 inches between turning professional at age 13 and making her Nationwide Girls’s Soccer League debut at age 15 final summer time.

YouTube

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post