Did Ryan Long throw the game? ‘Jeopardy!’ champ speaks out

Ryan Long on the set of “Jeopardy!”

“Jeopardy!” champion Ryan Lengthy lately opened up about his remaining recreation.

Jeopardy Productions Inc.

It’s a story as outdated as time: A “Jeopardy!” contestant goes on an enormous profitable streak, generates consideration from followers and media, and ultimately will get stumped on a clue or doesn’t wager sufficient cash, in the end falling to a brand new “Jeopardy!” champion.

And virtually each single time that occurs, followers start to invest: Did the contestant throw the sport? Did the participant actually not know the reply?

It occurred two years in the past, when James Holzhauer misplaced after his 32-game profitable streak. It occurred earlier on this season of “Jeopardy!” when Matt Amodio misplaced his thirty ninth recreation. And it occurred this week, when Ryan Lengthy, an Uber and Lyft driver from Philadelphia, concluded his run on “Jeopardy!” with 16 wins.

“I noticed someone say that I threw the sport,” Lengthy lately instructed USA In the present day. “I didn’t throw the sport. I didn’t lay down for it, however I wasn’t unhappy that I misplaced both. I felt like I used to be possibly able to go, however I didn’t lay down. However I knew I wasn’t on my prime type that day, when the Each day Double with Dr. King got here up.”

When Lengthy landed on that Each day Double throughout the first spherical of the sport, which aired June 6, he was within the lead with $4,400. He wagered $2,000 on the clue, which fell beneath the class “non-medical medical doctors”: “Close to the Mass. Ave. T cease on the Orange Line is the place this man lived within the Nineteen Fifties, getting his theology Ph.D. at Boston College.”

Lengthy, who realized about Martin Luther King Jr. rising up and knew he lived in Boston for a time, didn't provide you with a response. He instructed USA In the present day he knew that was “in all probability an indication” his time on “Jeopardy!” was coming to a detailed, additionally noting that he was a bit slower on the buzzer than regular throughout that recreation.

The “Jeopardy!” filming schedule can definitely take its toll on gamers — the present movies per week’s value of episodes in a single day.

“That’s an astonishing quantity of labor, and the COVID protocols at ‘Jeopardy!’ are strict and regimented. So it’s an actual bodily and psychological effort,” Jonathan Fisher, who gained 11 video games earlier this season, wrote in a column for Newsweek. “I guess in the event you ask James Holzhauer and Ken Jennings, they might say that sooner or later you do get actually drained.”

Now, Lengthy — who gained practically $300,000 over 16 video games — is targeted on resting up, getting ready for the upcoming Event of Champions within the fall, and determining methods to use his winnings.

“I’ve been telling individuals I simply need to take my son fishing,” he instructed USA In the present day. “That’s just about the place I’m at. I’ve bought to get a bunch of stuff discovered earlier than I may even go sort of loopy. I simply made my first ever appointment with an accountant in the present day. I by no means had a necessity for an accountant, or a lawyer. Now, I’m trying into getting each, and it’s actually trippy.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post