The Rahes call it a day

Weber State basketball Randy Rahe, and his wife Laura, a college basketball Division I referee, announced they were retiring.

Longtime Weber State basketball coach Randy Rahe, and his spouse Laura, a Division I basketball referee, introduced they have been each retiring from the sport.

Weber State Athletics

AP158005587219.jpg

Weber State head coach Randy Rahe watches throughout follow forward of a first-round the NCAA Match, Thursday, March 17, 2016, in St. Louis.

Charlie Riedel, Related Press

The first couple of basketball is asking it quits. Randy Rahe, the very best basketball coach most of you by no means heard of, formally introduced his retirement at a press convention Tuesday morning, though it had already been broadly reported. Rahe confirmed up together with his spouse Laura by his facet. She retired too — as a long-time Division I basketball referee and Weber State trainer.

“That is about us,” stated Rahe, that means the presser was not nearly him. 

Basketball was the centerpiece of the Rahe household. He coached basketball for 37 years, 16 as head coach at Weber State. She was a referee for 30 years and in addition taught lessons at Weber State.

The couple mentioned basketball throughout their day by day morning walks. He had day by day practices and two video games per week; Laura labored two video games per week, all the time on the street. He studied video to guage his staff’s efficiency; she studied video to guage her personal efficiency. They requested one another for critiques. Their courtship started — after all — at a basketball recreation; he was scouting a highschool recreation and noticed her within the coaches field. “It reveals I can recruit,” he appreciated to say. They married and raised two sons, who have been Weber State ball boys.

“Laura is lots higher at her job than I'm at mine,” Rahe advised reporters Tuesday.

If true, then that's saying lots. Rahe is certainly one of solely seven Utah coaches to win greater than 300 video games at an in-state college — 316 of them to be exact, probably the most in class historical past. He gained a Large Sky Convention document 198 league video games. Weber State is overshadowed by different D-I faculties within the state, particularly Utah, BYU and Utah State, however Rahe quietly went in regards to the enterprise of constructing profitable basketball groups.

He was an assistant coach for greater than 20 years earlier than he acquired his first head teaching job, the one one he would ever have, because it turned out. He was an assistant underneath the redoubtable Stew Morrill for 13 years, at Colorado State after which at Utah State. He was an assistant at Utah when Weber State employed him as head coach.

His groups gained a minimum of 20 video games in 9 seasons — together with final season — superior to the NCAA Match thrice, and gained 5 convention titles. His groups hit their stride throughout the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, once they totaled 55 wins towards 14 defeats. His most notable participant was future NBA celebrity Damian Lillard.

“It (the job) consumed me for 37 years, 24/7, one year a yr,” says Rahe. “It by no means leaves your thoughts.”

The retirement urge got here on all of a sudden. He and Laura have been vacationing on Hilton Head Island after weeks of recruiting. He thought in regards to the subsequent step — quickly he would start making ready for the summer season program for his gamers, and he realized, “I didn’t really feel the identical approach about it. I didn’t have the identical ardour and pleasure. I all the time stated if I lose any of that, I’ll comprehend it’s time to go.”


Basketball coaches who've gained 300 or extra video games at a Utah college
CoachCollegeW-LYearsWin %Convention titlesNCAA appearances
Stew MorrillUtah State402-1561998-2015 (17)0.7278
Vadal PetersonUtah385-2301927-53 (26)0.62652
Stan WattsBYU371-2541949-72 (24)0.59487
Jack GardnerUtah339-1541953-71 (18)0.68875
Rick MajerusUtah323-951989-2004 (15)0.773910
Randy RaheWeber State316-1912006-22 (16)0.62353
Dave RoseBYU301-1312005-19 (14)0.69748


On the comparatively younger age of 61, he was able to stroll away from a recreation he had pursued for near 50 years as a participant and coach. Laura determined to comply with him into retirement. She, too, has been across the recreation for many years, as a participant, coach and referee (she even taught college basketball lessons).

She grew emotional throughout Thursday’s twin retirement announcement. “It’s exhausting,” she stated. “I’ve cherished each of my jobs.”

They're an excellent staff on and off the court docket. Rahe wasn’t above taking his spouse’s recommendation about his staff, as famous in a 2020 Deseret Information profile through which the coach says, “She’ll watch a recreation and see one thing. She would possibly say, ‘This man’s not doing what he’s alleged to do.’ Or, ‘It is best to take into consideration this man.’ And she or he’s virtually all the time appropriate. Her opinion is just not one thing I take calmly. Generally I won't need to hear it, however I hear anyway. She understands the sport and the fellows.”

Wanting again, Rahe says, “I wished to run a program the fitting approach.” He wished to comply with the myriad NCAA guidelines, graduate gamers, construct character, develop relationships together with his gamers. He stated he felt good strolling away from the job realizing he had executed simply that. “Generally this enterprise could make you sacrifice your integrity,” he says.

“Greater than being the winningest coach in Weber State and Large Sky Convention historical past, Randy Rahe has exemplified operating a program with integrity,” stated Weber State president Brad Mortensen. “With Coach Rahe on the helm, now we have all the time held our heads excessive.”

The Rahes haven’t decided what they'll do subsequent past a visit to Italy. “Now we get a while to determine what we need to do from right here,” he stated. “ … now it’s our time.”

AP158005587219.jpg

Weber State head coach Randy Rahe watches throughout follow forward of a first-round the NCAA Match, Thursday, March 17, 2016, in St. Louis.

Charlie Riedel, Related Press

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post