Berlin Lengthy competes within the ultimate spherical of the Utah Girls’s State Novice golf match at Oakridge Nation Membership in Farmington on Thursday, July 1, 2021. Lengthy might be taking appreciable abilities to BYU subsequent fall. Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information
Lone Peak’s Berlin Lengthy tees off as she and different ladies compete within the 6A golf championship at Stonebridge Golf Membership in West Valley Metropolis on Tuesday, Could 10, 2022. Lengthy shot an even-par 144 to say medalist honors. Scott G Winterton, Deseret Information
Berlin Lengthy competes within the ultimate spherical of the Utah Girls’s State Novice golf match at Oakridge Nation Membership in Farmington on Thursday, July 1, 2021. Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information
Berlin Lengthy competes within the ultimate spherical of the Utah Girls’s State Novice golf match at Oakridge Nation Membership in Farmington on Thursday, July 1, 2021. Lila Galea’i gained on the nineteenth gap. Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information
Ask Lone Peak senior golfer Berlin Lengthy to call her favourite accomplishment in golf, and it takes her awhile. She’s that humble.
It is usually a protracted record to kind via for the 18-year-old from Lehi, who has signed to play faculty golf for coach Carrie Roberts at BYU.
“I like golf a lot, it’s laborious to (single out) one factor,” stated Lengthy. “My complete household undoubtedly loves it.”
Lengthy shot an even-par 144 to win medalist honors on the 6A state ladies golf match final week, and led the Knights to their fourth state title. It was the second particular person championship for Lengthy, who additionally gained in 2020 when the UHSAA’s official state match was canceled as a result of pandemic, however the PGA put one on at Fox Hole.
“I used to be actually debating between BYU and Virginia. If I used to be solely going to a college simply solely off golf, I in all probability would have chosen Virginia. Nevertheless it was simply a lot greater than that.” — BYU girls’s golf signee Berlin Lengthy
“Successful a state championship as a crew is admittedly particular, it feels so essential, so good,” she stated. “In order that one is up there. Successful with associates feels particular.”
Nonetheless, Lengthy admitted the accomplishment that takes the cake is the feminine course-record 10-under 62 she shot on the Utah Part PGA’s Junior PGA Championship on Soldier Hole’s Silver Course as a freshman in 2019. The win allowed her to play within the Ladies Junior PGA Championship that summer season in Hartford, Connecticut.
“So that's my low spherical ever,” she stated. “That was tremendous enjoyable to go that low, and possibly one among my favourite moments ever on a golf course.”
Lone Peak coach Derek Farr stated psychological toughness, work ethic, household assist and athleticism units Lengthy aside.
“She is below lots of stress, and lots of it's self-imposed,” Farr stated. “She’s a perfectionist. … She’s only a large younger girl.”

Lone Peak’s Berlin Lengthy tees off as she and different ladies compete within the 6A golf championship at Stonebridge Golf Membership in West Valley Metropolis on Tuesday, Could 10, 2022. Lengthy shot an even-par 144 to say medalist honors.
Scott G Winterton, Deseret Information
When BYU’s Roberts signed Lengthy to a nationwide letter of intent in November 2021, she knew she was getting a superb one. Lengthy had dozens of presents, and stated she narrowed her selections to Virginia and BYU earlier than selecting the Cougars.
“She is a really completed golfer with a protracted record of accolades,” Roberts stated final November. “Berlin is not going to solely add to our success on the course, however will proceed to strengthen the tradition of our crew off the course as effectively.”
Amongst Lengthy’s different golf accomplishments: three holes-in-one, an albatross (she made a 2 on the par-5 third gap at Glen Eagle GC in Syracuse) and a 6-under 67 to win that 2020 match in American Fork. Her aces got here at Cedar Hills, Mountain Dell (Lake) and Talons Cove.
“I nonetheless don’t know if I'm going to be that good,” she stated, humbly, when requested how she acquired so good. “It's all the time a problem. There may be all the time room for enchancment.”
Additionally, Lengthy was the runner-up to future BYU teammate Lila Galea’i within the 2021 Utah Girls’s Novice and recorded 5 top-10 finishes throughout the 2020-21 AJGA season. Her sister, Aadyn, is a freshman at Lone Peak and in addition an completed golfer.
A Berlin is born
How did she get that distinctive first identify? Lengthy stated her dad and mom — Rob and Courtney — watched a film when Courtney was pregnant together with her wherein the principle character’s identify was Berlin. Her mother appreciated the identify. Just a few days later, her father was watching a soccer recreation wherein the quarterback’s identify was Brock Berlin and thought to himself, “That’s a cool identify.”
“So my mother walked down the steps and requested, ‘What do you consider the identify Berlin?’ He was like, ‘I used to be actually simply considering the identical factor.’ So that they kinda thought it was meant to be.”
The Longs acquired a membership at Alpine Nation Membership when Berlin was 8, and she or he acquired extra closely into the game as time went on, together with older brother Jaxon, now a member of the golf crew at Southern Utah College.
“It has simply taken off from there,” Berlin stated. “I began enjoying tournaments once I was 10, and me and my sister (Aadyn) have been enjoying ever since.”

Berlin Lengthy competes within the ultimate spherical of the Utah Girls’s State Novice golf match at Oakridge Nation Membership in Farmington on Thursday, July 1, 2021.
Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information
Berlin stated she performs in a match of some kind virtually day by day throughout the summer season months, then practices at night time for a pair hours.
“You have got some days when you're on the market for seven or eight hours, after which different days when you're doing it one or two hours,” she stated. “It simply relies upon.”
The primary particular person to present Berlin classes approached her dad and mom and informed them she was actually good and had lots of potential. Rob Lengthy, an completed golfer who performs in lots of Utah Golf Affiliation (UGA) occasions, type of scoffed at that notion at first, believing the professional stated that to all of the dad and mom.
“As soon as I began enjoying competitively, I noticed that if I wished to, I might go far on this recreation, and it might take me locations that I need to go,” Berlin stated.
Why BYU?
Former BYU golfer Clay Ogden, now knowledgeable, grew to become Berlin’s swing coach six years in the past, and has assist steer her to greatness, alongside together with her dad and mom.
“He’s been working with me for some time now, and he’s superior,” Berlin stated.
She determined to decide to BYU in October 2020, shortly after her junior yr of highschool began, ending what was shaping as much as be a giant recruiting battle.
“I used to be actually debating between BYU and Virginia,” she stated. “If I used to be solely going to a college simply solely off golf, I in all probability would have chosen Virginia. Nevertheless it was simply a lot greater than that.”
Berlin stated her relationship with Roberts and BYU’s proximity to her dwelling had been key elements.
“Coach Roberts is so superior. I haven’t been capable of work together with her as a lot as I will, and I like her. I like her work ethic and the way a lot she cares. I do know she loves it, and actually cares about all the ladies and the way they do as a crew,” Berlin stated.
She’s additionally good associates with lots of BYU’s gamers.
“I'm undoubtedly a really social particular person,” she stated. “So understanding my household is just half-hour away makes it lots higher than a pair thousand miles away. … Figuring out what I get into was a extremely large deciding issue for me.”
Her dream foursome and favourite programs
Like lots of children, Berlin grew up idolizing Tiger Woods and says she would put him in her dream foursome, together with the late Arnold Palmer and Corridor of Fame LPGA golfer Annika Sorenstam.
“I feel I did a guide reported on Annika’s guide yearly of faculty,” Berlin stated. “She’s one of many greats, and everybody in golf appreciates what Tiger and Arnie did and have carried out for the sport and the way superb they're.”
Berlin acquired to play Valhalla Golf Membership in Kentucky final summer season within the Ladies Junior PGA Championship and lists that as the very best and most lovely course she’s performed.
Regionally, she loves the Park Metropolis Municipal Course and Victory Ranch.
“Park Metropolis is kinda brief and nothing particular, however I've all the time cherished that golf course,” she stated. “Then there’s Alpine. That’s my dwelling course. I actually do love that course.”
Berlin stated she’s skilled laborious and lifted weights within the winter to enhance her size, and noticed a noticeable distinction throughout the highschool golf season.
She want to try and qualify for the Utah Males’s State Novice this summer season, so long as it doesn’t battle with an already-crowded schedule. She gained’t have the ability to play within the Girls’s State Am, as a consequence of a battle.
“I actually simply need to play as a lot as I can,” she stated. “I simply love golf. It's the greatest.”
And he or she’s probably the greatest on this state to play it.

Berlin Lengthy competes within the ultimate spherical of the Utah Girls’s State Novice golf match at Oakridge Nation Membership in Farmington on Thursday, July 1, 2021. Lila Galea’i gained on the nineteenth gap.
Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information