‘He has a plan for me in baseball’: How Blake Whiting’s mission to the Dominican Republic impacted his life

Utah Utes pitcher Blake Whiting poses for a portrait at Ute Baseball Field in Salt Lake City, on Tuesday, May 10, 2022.

Utah Utes pitcher Blake Whiting poses for a portrait at Ute Baseball Area in Salt Lake Metropolis, on Tuesday, Might 10, 2022.

Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information

IMG_1677.JPG

Elder Blake Whiting will get in some batting follow with the locals on a P-day whereas serving his Latter-day Saint mission within the Dominican Republic. Whiting is now a pitcher on the College of Utah baseball staff.

Courtesy Blake Whiting

IMG_1676.JPG

Elder Blake Whiting, left, poses for an image along with his companion whereas serving a Latter-day Saint mission within the Dominican Republic. Whiting is now a pitcher on the College of Utah baseball staff.

Courtesy Blake Whiting

merlin_2922291.jpg

Utah Utes pitcher Blake Whiting poses for a portrait within the dugout of Ute Baseball Area in Salt Lake Metropolis, on Tuesday, Might 10, 2022.

Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information

Like many different hundreds of missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving has made a long-lasting impression on the lifetime of Utah aid pitcher Blake Whiting.

His two-year missionary service within the Dominican Republic additionally had a serious impression on his baseball profession. 

It was throughout his time within the Dominican Republic that he acquired an inconceivable scholarship to play the game — from Salt Lake Group School — and he was additionally surrounded by folks obsessive about baseball.

Although he needed to study a brand new language and adapt to a brand new tradition, in a manner, Whiting felt proper at residence within the Caribbean nation. 

Whereas he was a pupil at Oakdale Excessive in central California, Whiting wasn’t positive that a mission was proper for him. 

“I used to be actually skeptical about occurring a mission,” he mentioned. “I didn’t need to go overseas and study a brand new language. I used to be a choosy eater. I by no means left California.”

However after he determined to serve, Whiting began researching the locations the place main league gamers have served. He discovered that a number of had served in Spanish-speaking nations. 

For instance, Jeremy Guthrie, a former Kansas Metropolis Royals starter who pitched for 5 MLB groups in 13 seasons, served in Spain. Scott Nielsen, who pitched at BYU, served a mission in Argentina. He was drafted within the fourth spherical by the Seattle Mariners in 1983 and performed for the New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox and the New York Mets. 

When Whiting acquired his name to the Dominican Republic Santo Domingo East Mission, talking Spanish, any considerations he might have had subsided. 

“I used to be like, ‘Yep, that’s precisely the place I’m alleged to be.’ It was superior,” he recalled. “My older brother performed skilled baseball for the Cardinals of their minor league system. So I knew about Dominicans and I knew the place it was at and I knew how essential baseball is there. As soon as I learn ‘Dominican Republic,’ there was a robust feeling that, ‘That is the place Heavenly Father desires me to be. It’s the right place for me.’” 

Baseball love within the Dominican Republic

The Dominican Republic, a Caribbean island nation with a inhabitants of about 11 million folks, is thought for its seashores, resorts, golfing — and baseball.

“Baseball within the D.R. is nothing like I had ever seen earlier than,” Whiting mentioned. 

IMG_1677.JPG

Elder Blake Whiting will get in some batting follow with the locals on a P-day whereas serving his Latter-day Saint mission within the Dominican Republic. Whiting is now a pitcher on the College of Utah baseball staff.

Courtesy Blake Whiting

And the nation produces an inordinate quantity of main leaguers. In 2021, 561 gamers on main league rosters hailed from the USA. The Dominican Republic was No. 2 with 80 gamers, whereas Venezuela ranked No. 3 with 54. 

Among the many gamers the Dominican Republic has produced over time are superstars like Albert Pujols, David Ortiz, Pedro Guerrero, Adrian Beltre, Rafael Furcal, Sammy Sosa, Pedro Martinez, Robinson Cano, Rafael Devers, Vladimir Guerrero, Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada and Bartolo Colon, to call a number of. 

Baseball video games are always being performed throughout within the Dominican Republic and, for Whiting, they had been ubiquitous.

“I bear in mind fairly vividly,” he mentioned. “It was 10 a.m. on a Tuesday. I appeared to my proper and there was a college full of children. I appeared to my left and there was a baseball area full of children. I feel there have been extra children on the baseball area than there have been at college. Any baseball area you’d stroll by, it was full of children or adults enjoying.”

Whiting remembers a home crammed with children about 15 years outdated that was devoted to growing younger baseball expertise.

“The Yankees and Angels have amenities down there for the youngsters to play baseball, go to highschool, study English,” Whiting mentioned. “That’s their ticket out of the D.R. and out of poverty, to go to the U.S., get drafted, earn a living.”

Whereas Whiting was serving his mission, Ortiz, often known as “Large Papi,” was shot. A drug trafficker, reportedly jealous of Ortiz, organized for Ortiz to be murdered. “Large Papi,” who has been elected to the Corridor of Fame, survived.

“I didn’t realize it on the time, he was about two streets away from me when he obtained shot,” Whiting mentioned. “Individuals there love Large Papi. Robinson Cano drives his inexperienced Lamborghini round San Pedro. Individuals love him down there. I met a relative of Adrian Beltre’s. She obtained baptized. I met Rafael Furcal. His nephew obtained baptized. I interviewed him for baptism. An superior child. The folks there are so pleasant to us. They’re celebrities. They deal with them like gods.”

The baseball fields within the Dominican Republic weren’t all the time in the perfect situation, however that didn’t cease folks from enjoying on them. There could be a mound and a backstop, with a mud area with rocks. 

“I feel that’s partly why they're so good at baseball — they’re all the time getting these nasty hops,” Whiting mentioned. 

Some performed a recreation like baseball. They used a brush stick and bottle caps to play. 

“As a result of the baseball fields had been all the time so full, you’d see these children within the streets enjoying with a brush stick and bottle caps,” Whiting mentioned. “They’d play baseball with that. It was cool to see. They’d play with their naked arms. No helmets. They’d use wooden bats, whether or not it was too massive or too small. They had been simply on the market to play.”

Opening doorways to gospel conversations

Whiting packed his baseball glove and took it to the Dominican Republic. It got here in helpful when speaking to the baseball-crazy inhabitants. 

“There have been instances on P-days the place we went to the baseball area and performed baseball with people who had been investigating the church and members of the church,” he mentioned. “It was an exercise we may do to get folks extra educated in regards to the church. Any manner that we may get folks in touch with the church was an enormous win. Bringing new converts and getting folks enthusiastic about going to church. We’d undoubtedly escape the ball and the glove as a lot as potential.

There have been a number of children that liked to speak baseball with me. They might like to play catch and study little issues like how you can maintain a pitch; how you can throw tougher. It was a fantastic introduction to the gospel for them,” Whiting added. “It was a manner for me to open my mouth. We might begin with slightly recreation of catch for 5 minutes and that will open us to show them the gospel.

IMG_1676.JPG

Elder Blake Whiting, left, poses for an image along with his companion whereas serving a Latter-day Saint mission within the Dominican Republic. Whiting is now a pitcher on the College of Utah baseball staff.

Courtesy Blake Whiting

“That’s how Heavenly Father helped me to have the ability to unfold the phrase about his son, Jesus Christ. They might convey their buddies and teams of youngsters and it introduced extra pleasure to the gospel and to understand how Heavenly Father may assist them with baseball as nicely and the way it all correlated with them.”

As a part of all missions, missionaries are required to train daily for 30 to 60 minutes. Whiting’s first companion, because it turned out, had dedicated to play baseball at BYU, although an harm prevented him from doing so. 

“My coach obtained me into lifting. We made our personal weights out of cement and paint cans and water jugs,” Whiting mentioned. “We had an outdoor patio. We’d get up earlier than 6:30 to raise and run.”

Whiting did a number of strolling within the Dominican Republic, as nicely. 

“We couldn’t experience bikes within the D.R.,” he mentioned. “In a few areas we may — however bikes had been getting stolen.”

An unlikely scholarship provide

Since he didn’t have any scholarship presents out of highschool Whiting figured his baseball profession was over. 

In highschool, Whiting, who additionally performed soccer and basketball, earned All-League, All-State honors and an All-Star Sport MVP Award in baseball and he led his staff to a convention championship. He led the convention with 102 strikeouts and a 0.78 ERA in 63 innings.

Eight months into his mission, Whiting’s dad despatched his son’s video of him pitching to Salt Lake Metropolis Group School. 

Whiting mentioned he had by no means heard of SLCC. 

“I didn’t know something about them,” he mentioned. “They supplied me a scholarship whereas I used to be on my mission.” 

And he was grateful. 

“California junior faculties can’t provide scholarships so once I discovered that SLCC may, they usually did, it was a straightforward determination to say sure,” Whiting mentioned.

In an effort to play at SLCC, Whiting needed to ask permission of his mission president to go residence three weeks early. 

“That introduced me out to Utah, the place I sort of needed to be for the ambiance and the surroundings,” he mentioned. 

‘I began to throw tougher than I had ever thrown earlier than’

By way of enjoying baseball, Whiting mentioned the blessings of serving a mission manifested themselves virtually instantly, regardless of a two-year layoff from enjoying competitively. 

About three weeks after coming back from his mission, he was throwing off the mound and observed one thing that surprised and humbled him. 

“That’s truly one of many cooler elements that I skilled, the blessings I do know Heavenly Father has blessed me with — I began to throw tougher than I had ever thrown earlier than. The primary break day the mound, I used to be throwing 93 as a substitute of 89-90, which is what I used to be throwing in highschool. I undoubtedly obtained fairly sore after.”

It took a few months for Whiting to get again into baseball form however so far as “the talents and talent, Heavenly Father was blessing me with that the day I obtained residence from my mission. I’d say after a month or two of understanding with the staff and throwing and operating, I used to be good to go.”

Earlier than arriving at SLCC, Whiting had been a beginning pitcher. However with the Bruins, he was became a reliever. 

“I had by no means actually got here out of the bullpen. I used to be having good outings they usually needed somebody to have the ability to shut the sport out,” Whiting mentioned. “When we've a bases-loaded scenario, we wish somebody to get us out of it. Lots of stress conditions. I had success with it at SLCC.”

In 2021, Whiting was named the NJCAA Area 18 Aid Pitcher of the Yr and All-Area 18 First Staff. He posted a 4-0 document with three saves and a 1.53 ERA in 14 appearances, together with one begin in 2021. 

Whiting pitched 35.1 innings with 48 strikeouts and 10 walks whereas limiting opposing batters to a .179 batting common. In 2020, he made seven aid appearances and compiled a 2-0 document with three saves and a 3.38 ERA, together with 17 strikeouts and two walks in eight innings pitched. 

Touchdown with the Utes

After enjoying two seasons at SLCC, Whiting caught the eye of Utah coach Gary Henderson.

Whiting was impressed with Henderson and liked the thought of with the ability to compete within the Pac-12. 

“I researched Gary Henderson and his resume. I don’t suppose there’s a greater resume in faculty baseball than his. I obtained to speak to him and I liked the whole lot, together with his philosophy on pitching,” Whiting mentioned. “The season ended and I used to be nonetheless not dedicated anyplace. … I had presents from Utah, BYU, UVU and others. I felt just like the Pac-12 was the place I wanted to be with coach Henderson to offer me the perfect alternative to succeed and get to the following stage.”

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound righthander was recruited to the Utes as a better, a task he relishes. 

“It’s undoubtedly been a studying expertise about being ready to go in in these stress conditions, and having the arrogance and expertise to know that it’s your job to get out of sticky conditions,” he mentioned. “Principally, it's important to be mentally ready and have the psychological confidence that you simply’re going to get it performed. You'll be able to’t hope that you simply’re going to get out of it. You'll be able to’t marvel when you’re going to get out of it. You’ve obtained to have the demeanor that you simply’re the perfect and also you’ll get the job performed.”

In 2022, his first season at Utah, Whiting has pitched 25.1 innings, yielding 23 hits whereas placing out 30. He owns a 2-1 document with 5 saves and an ERA of 4.97. 

Having served a mission has helped him block out distractions, and cope with challenges that closers see regularly, together with making an attempt to guard a lead. 

“Overcoming the adversity to study Spanish, being away from residence and being homesick, undoubtedly correlates to overcoming adversity on the baseball area,” he mentioned. “When the bases are loaded and you've got lower than two outs and also you’re dealing with adversity, I really feel like I’m extra mature as a person now whereas if I used to be simply popping out of highschool, I’d in all probability be slightly nervous on the market on the mound, sort of hoping the ball goes over the plate. Now, I've the arrogance to face adversity to get out of these conditions and the maturity to do it.”

‘Biggest expertise of my life’

Throughout his time in Utah, Whiting has fielded loads of questions on his missionary expertise. 

“It occurs on a regular basis,” he mentioned. “That’s one of many greatest blessings about coming to Utah. Lots of the folks, whether or not they're members or aren’t members, they ask for assist or ask questions in regards to the Dominican Republic or the gospel. It’s one other nice missionary software that I've to speak in regards to the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Dominican Republic.

“I’m ready to make use of the D.R. to speak in regards to the gospel. Individuals have a tendency to like the tales, whether or not it’s about consuming rooster toes or whether or not it’s about children enjoying on a Tuesday morning once they’re alleged to be in class. It’s been an superior alternative to speak about it with my teammates and my buddies at SLCC and the U. of U. At instances, my coaches will ask me questions in an airport.”

Whiting is hoping to play skilled baseball sometime. 

“I need to see how far I can go. I need to play in opposition to the perfect. That’s why I got here right here to Utah as nicely,” he mentioned. “I needed to play in opposition to the perfect within the Pac-12. I need to go so far as my abilities permit me to go. I consider that’s professional ball. We’ll see the way it all works out.”

Being the youngest of 4 brothers, Whiting has loads of assist. He’s the tallest of them. Certainly one of his brothers served within the Military and one other within the Air Drive. One other brother was drafted by the Cardinals and performed earlier than retiring in 2017. Now, he’s attending pharmacy faculty. 

“I used to be all the time getting picked on rising up,” Whiting mentioned, laughing. “That helps me on the mound as nicely. Watching my brother play skilled baseball has helped my profession as I noticed how he handled the whole lot.”

Final summer time, Whiting went to Iowa and labored on his pitching. His brother helped him get his pace from 90 to 96 mph. 

“He’s been an enormous assist in the method of pitching, mechanics, how you can assault hitters,” Whiting mentioned. “I undoubtedly wouldn’t be this far with out him.”

In fact, irrespective of how his baseball profession seems, he’ll all the time be pleased about the 2 years he spent within the Dominican Republic. 

“The mission was the best expertise of my life. It modified my life drastically, from the place I used to be headed to the place I'm now.” — Utah pitcher Blake Whiting

“The mission was the best expertise of my life. It modified my life drastically, from the place I used to be headed to the place I'm now,” he mentioned. “Simply the general pleasure in life and the blessings that I can see of how Heavenly Father’s hand works in my life, with faculty, baseball.”

Having a command of the Spanish language may assist him on the subsequent stage of baseball. 

“It might be a possibility for me in professional ball to talk Spanish with a catcher. They're such enjoyable folks to speak to, whether or not they're Dominicans or folks from Mexico or Honduras or Peru,” Whiting mentioned. “They’re superior folks. They're such enjoyable folks to speak to and be round. Having the ability to talk with them via Spanish is superior and assembly new folks. Being in professional ball and having that chance could be superior.”

No matter his future, as he appears to be like at his life and his experiences thus far, Whiting attributes his means to play baseball, and his alternative to proceed enjoying, to God — and his mission to the Dominican Republic. 

“I don’t know what Heavenly Father’s plan is with that, however I undoubtedly really feel like there was a plan to maintain me in baseball,” he mentioned. “Heavenly Father had me go to the D.R., a baseball nation. It stored me round baseball. Clearly, the gospel was my focus down there, educating about Jesus Christ. However baseball was all the time there to remind me. The provide from SLCC was enormous. I felt like he has a plan for me right here in baseball.”

merlin_2922291.jpg

Utah Utes pitcher Blake Whiting poses for a portrait within the dugout of Ute Baseball Area in Salt Lake Metropolis, on Tuesday, Might 10, 2022.

Kristin Murphy, Deseret Information

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post