Travel Troubleshooter: Can I be charged an extra $1,360 for changing my flight?

DEAR TRAVEL TROUBLESHOOTER: Final 12 months, I booked a ticket from San Francisco to Munich. A couple of weeks later, Lufthansa knowledgeable me that the flight had modified, and that there can be a stopover in Frankfurt. Provided that, it was extra handy for me simply to terminate my flight in Frankfurt than to proceed on to Munich.

Christopher Elliott, the Travel Troubleshooter ...
Christopher Elliott, the Journey Troubleshooter 

I known as Lufthansa and requested to alter the ticket to Frankfurt, confirming that the change didn't enhance the worth. I did that on the telephone, noting the time and the consultant I spoke to.

After I went to the ticket counter on my flight day, a Lufthansa worker advised me that my ticket to Frankfurt hadn’t been paid. How was I imagined to know that? I used to be beneath the belief that the unique cost was nonetheless utilized because the consultant advised me on the telephone it will be precisely the identical worth. This was an entire shock to me.

Lufthansa made me pay a walk-up fare of $2,360.

I've been preventing with Lufthansa since final July. The airline emailed again twice however clearly had not even learn my e-mail. In my final e-mail, I simply requested two very particular questions. I haven’t acquired a solution in 5 weeks. All I would like is a refund of $1,360, which is the fare distinction. Are you able to assist?

— Gabriele Stahl, Campbell, California

ANSWER: Lufthansa ought to have achieved what it promised you by telephone: modified your flight from Munich to Frankfurt with out charging you. The issue is, you don’t have any proof that the telephone dialog occurred. The airline does; it information all requires “high quality assurance” functions. Till we’re on a degree taking part in area — till either side can legally document the dialog, and do — we’ll have issues like this.

The written correspondence between you and Lufthansa is irritating for me to learn. It appears to be like such as you spent many hours attempting to safe a affirmation in your new flight, to no avail. Lastly, you simply went to the airport on the day of your departure, hoping for the perfect.

In case you ever end up on this state of affairs once more, be sure you have a affirmation quantity for the brand new flight. It appears to be like as if Lufthansa didn’t do what it stated. As a substitute, it canceled your previous flight and issued a full refund. Then it made a brand new reservation and waited so that you can pay for it. That’s not what you needed.

I listing the names, numbers and e-mail addresses of the Lufthansa executives on my client advocacy website at www.elliott.org/company-contacts/lufthansa-airlines/. Sadly, Lufthansa virtually by no means responds to my nonprofit group’s inquiries, so I advisable that you simply ship a quick letter of grievance to the U.S. Division of Transportation.

Lufthansa refunded the fare distinction. I requested Lufthansa to remark for this story, however it didn’t reply, as ordinary.


Christopher Elliott is the chief advocacy officer of Elliott Advocacy, a nonprofit group that helps customers resolve their issues. Elliott’s newest e-book is “How To Be The World’s Smartest Traveler” (Nationwide Geographic). Contact him at elliott.org/assist or chris@elliott.org.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post