The Knicks are fired up for revenge against the Nets

On the finish of a season that started with such excessive expectations for New York skilled basketball, the ultimate Knicks-Nets matchup Wednesday arrives with unhappy penalties:

An opportunity for the Knicks to spoil the Nets possibilities of being within the prime bracket of the play-in event.

Can you are feeling the joy?

The Knicks and Nets entered Tuesday night time as eleventh and tenth within the Jap Convention, respectively, far under these heady preseason predictions. Tom Thibodeau’s squad is eradicated from the playoffs, now immersed within the acquainted anti-climactic part of juggling the significance of extra ping pong balls with constructing successful habits.

Nonetheless, the younger Knicks (35-44) appeared further motivated to topple a rival following Tuesday’s observe.

“It’s an enormous sport. I do know I’m excited. I do know the group is fired up,” RJ Barrett mentioned.

Why?

“One, simply battle of New York and two, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving,” Barrett answered. “For me, my godfather (Nets coach Steve Nash) is on the opposite aspect, so it’s at all times an enormous matchup.”

One other motivating issue is the Knicks shedding six consecutive to the Nets, together with the house group’s epic collapse on the Backyard lower than a month in the past. The Nets entered their Tuesday sport in opposition to the Rockets only one sport behind the Hawks for eighth within the East.

“We received to win (in opposition to the Nets),” Obi Toppin mentioned. “We misplaced so many shut video games in opposition to them. We simply received to get a win in opposition to them. We received to return out with a variety of power. We’re in our dwelling within the Backyard. So we received to return out with this win.”

ROSE OFFICIALLY WILTED

Thibodeau mentioned he “doesn’t see” Derrick Rose taking part in once more this season, that means the purpose guard may have missed the ultimate 53 video games of the season.

Rose, 33, who signed a three-year, $44 million deal final summer time, had ankle surgical procedure in December and almost returned two months later. However the space across the surgical procedure grew to become contaminated, requiring a second process.

Thibodeau hadn’t dominated out Rose’s return till Tuesday. Rose performed 26 video games this season, averaging 12 factors and 4 assists on 45% capturing.

Thibodeau additionally reiterated that Julius Randle (sore quad) is probably going out for the remaining three video games.

MAX MAN?

Barrett acknowledged he’s “” in how his contract negotiations will play out this summer time, however isn’t feeling strain to hold the torch as the longer term face of the franchise.

Barrett is eligible for a five-year, $181 million most extension earlier than subsequent season.

“There’s no strain. … It’s enjoyable. I really feel like simply my character, the kind of particular person I'm, no strain in any respect. I embrace it,” Barrett mentioned. “Whether or not I play horrible, they boo. I play nice and so they cheer, it doesn’t matter. … No matter occurs in the summertime, occurs. I do know I've zero management over it. Regardless of the entrance workplace feels — I’m certain my agent is gonna be concerned lots.

“So, I’m not too apprehensive about it,” he continued. “I’ve been giving it my all ever since I stepped right here, so no matter occurs this summer time, that’s form of what it's. It’s less than me.”

()

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post