Many drivers like double carpool lanes on 101: Roadshow

Q: Gary, while you lately referred to the brand new toll lanes on Freeway 101, you acknowledged “I haven’t had any complaints.”

The brand new toll lanes are a catastrophe on many ranges. That part of 101 is now nearly frequently backed up, with site visitors all bunched as much as the correct.

Jim Maples, Palo Alto

A: The “I haven’t had any complaints” remark was particularly about double carpool lanes on 101 close to high-traffic areas, permitting drivers to get out and in of categorical lanes extra simply. Most individuals who've contacted me about this just like the double carpool lanes. I perceive your categorical lane frustration. Many readers should not proud of them. They don’t like having to pay tolls now. Many don’t like categorical lane hours operating so lengthy, from 5 a.m. to eight p.m. Some readers say that categorical lane drivers journey at excessive speeds, or attempt to. And many don't just like the rule that for carpools to journey free now require 3 or extra folks.

Q: I, too, skilled rocks within the street simply earlier than the Broadway exit on Interstate 880, and acquired a pleasant chip in my windshield.

I’m an Uber driver. I've a touch cam. It was 6 a.m. and darkish, nevertheless, so it’s not possible to see all of the gravel being kicked up. Caltrans must do one thing about its contractor not cleansing up earlier than opening site visitors by 5:30 a.m.

Todd Leek, Brentwood 

A: You’re proper. The state must do extra to forestall conditions, and injury, like this.

Q: The issue with the Interstate 5 bottleneck is 2 totally different velocity limits, not the dearth of sufficient lanes. Having 2 velocity limits is the basis supply of street boulders and dive bombers. It causes turbulent site visitors and extreme lane altering, making the street much more harmful. I name it “white water site visitors.” In recent times, I've traveled 14 western and Midwest states. The three west coast states are the one ones with 2 velocity limits.

I imagine the opposite 11 states I traveled in are a lot safer. One of the best instance was in Salt Lake Metropolis on Interstate 80 round mid-day. There have been 4 lanes in every path, with heavy site visitors in all lanes. Everybody was going the identical velocity. Nobody was altering lanes. All sorts of automobiles, from large rigs to bikes, had been on the street and all had been going 80 MPH. I don't advocate 80 MPH, however it's clear to me that 1 velocity restrict can be far safer and movement extra site visitors.

John Moody, San Jose

A: I imagine you're proper. Nevertheless, Caltrans believes that elevating the velocity restrict for giant rigs on I-5 is simply too harmful. Till I-5 is widened, two velocity limits will proceed to be in impact.

Search for Gary Richards at Fb.com/mr.roadshow, or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post