A letter from Cammy Hall to Utah gymnastics

Utah’s Cammy Hall yells after her vault during a gymnastics meet with Oklahoma at the Huntsman Center on Jan. 14, 2022.

Utah’s Cammy Corridor yells after her vault throughout a gymnastics meet with Oklahoma on the Huntsman Heart in Salt Lake Metropolis on Friday, Jan. 14, 2022.

Spenser Heaps, Deseret Information

How do you go about telling a narrative that was a lifetime within the making? 

Even when the timeframe is shortened to an athlete’s 4 or 5 years in faculty, how do you place into phrases the impression and that means of a collegiate profession? 

That's the problem yearly relating to representing the experiences of gymnasts whose time with Utah gymnastics has come to an finish. 

Slightly than make an ill-fated try at it, we’ve let the gymnasts communicate for themselves forward of the ultimate meet of their careers.

Here's what Utah senior Cammy Corridor needed to say.


“At one level in my life, I didn't consider I used to be capable of compete at an elite degree of gymnastics. I believed I used to be mediocre rising up. I felt that being real looking with myself was the best choice, contemplating there have been a number of different gymnasts being recruited with the identical, if no more, expertise than me.

Some with greater expertise and routines with problem that fully blew my thoughts. All of them made it look really easy. I believed to myself that I simply have to deal with me and belief that no matter is for me will occur. 

At some point at apply, I used to be minding my enterprise when my coach pulled me apart, ‘Utah head coach Tom Farden desires to come back watch you apply. Would you be OK with that?’

Right now, I used to be already dedicated to a different faculty that was ranked nearer to the 30s. Utah was ranked No. 2. I laughed in confusion and replied ‘Uh positive.’ It is likely to be a waste of time, but when he desires to fly over 2,000 miles for a mediocre gymnast that's his resolution. 

Lower than two weeks later, I de-committed with my authentic faculty and dedicated to Utah, and the remainder is historical past. Utah gymnastics has taught me to by no means promote myself brief. To all the time purpose for the perfect. To consider in your self and your skills it doesn't matter what. That you're higher than what you suppose. You possibly can accomplish far more than what you anticipate. 

This mindset will take you far and it's all the time rewarded in the long run. These are classes and values that I maintain true to myself and can proceed to make use of for the remainder of my life, and hopefully train different younger ladies who're in comparable conditions.

The little lady who dreamed of school gymnastics a number of years in the past had no concept what was coming her means. I thank my Utah household for being alongside my facet each step of the way in which. I do know their help will all the time be there and that could be a particular bond that I'll maintain near my coronary heart endlessly. Go Utes!”


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post