Larry Magid: Turning off notifications and opting out of text chats

Does your smartphone hold you up at night time?  Lots of people lose sleep due to undesirable notifications or textual content messages that might simply wait until morning. Even throughout waking hours, frequent beeps out of your cellphone might be annoying and pointless.

Larry Magid (Gary Reyes / Mercury Information)

A few of the important culprits are apps that take it upon themselves to inform you once they have one thing to say to you. Simply as I used to be scripting this, I acquired a beep on my cellphone from the app related to my blood stress monitor, reminding me to make use of it. My blood stress is steady, thanks very a lot. I turned off these reminders.

I’m a information junkie, so I've apps from quite a few information organizations. I really like that I can get an replace anytime I need, however what I don’t want is an audible sound each time a information group publishes a narrative it thinks I ought to learn. It’s uncommon for a information story to be so pressing that it must interrupt what I’m doing so I turned off notifications for all of these apps. I additionally turned off notifications from Gmail. I get plenty of emails and most of it will probably wait. When folks near me want my instant consideration, they’ll textual content or name me and people notifications are on at the least throughout waking hours.

What actually bugs me are notifications which can be basically ads, reminiscent of an ecommerce app selling a sale or letting me learn about a product it thinks I'd wish to purchase. No thanks. I’ve turned off notifications on all my e-commerce apps.

I do have some apps that I let notify me such because the one from my house safety system, those that permit me know if my area heaters have tipped over and the one which tells me if my air fryer is finished with its cooking and the one which tells me if my automotive is prepared for a software program replace.

Controlling notifications on apps

Each iOS and Android permit you to management particular person notifications and arrange a “don't disturb” time when all however sure notifications (like cellphone calls from contacts or alarms) are silenced.

On iOS, you go to Settings after which Notifications the place you will notice every of your apps listed. However, in the event you’re utilizing the newest model of iOS (15), take a look at Scheduled Abstract, which lets you schedule once you wish to hear from particular apps. You set sure occasions of the day after which toggle which apps you wish to hear from throughout these occasions. That manner, they inform you in your schedule, not theirs.

iOS and Android each permit you to flip notifications off for particular apps. By default, they’re often on and often notify you instantly if the app has one thing to say to you. I am going via every app and switch them off except it truly is an app that I wish to hear from in actual time. In iOS, go to notifications, and scroll down to every app the place it would say both “instant,” “scheduled” or “off.”  Click on on the app and alter it to how (or if) you wish to be notified.

On Android, go to Settings after which Notifications. You'll be able to click on on App Settings and switch notifications on or off for every app. On the high it would present you up-to-date apps, so you understand which of them have just lately alerted you — a easy strategy to flip off the notifications or apps which have just lately interrupted you.

Silencing group textual content notifications

It’s more and more widespread to be a part of group textual content conversations — my household has them on a regular basis. However generally folks textual content an excessive amount of or reply to one another with data that you just simply don’t want or wish to be interrupted by.  In iOS, you possibly can mute notifications for a dialog by citing the Messages record after which contact and maintain a dialog and faucet Cover Alerts.

In latest variations of Android, go to the message, click on on the three dots within the higher proper nook, choose Particulars, then choose Notifications after which select Precedence, Default or Silent.

Don't disturb mode

No matter the way you get particular notifications, there are specific occasions — principally once you’re making an attempt to sleep — once you don’t need any notifications besides emergency calls from household or shut buddies.

In iOS, go to Settings and faucet Focus after which Do Not Disturb. Toggle it on after which choose Individuals to permit exceptions if there are folks you want to hear from even when Do Not Disturb is on. You are able to do the identical with apps. One other manner to do that is to go to Settings/Focus after which faucet Sleep and observe the prompts that can lead you to the Well being App that can permit you to set your sleep schedule with further choices.

On Android, go to Settings after which Sound and Vibration. Click on Do Not Disturb the place you possibly can flip it on or off now or set schedules for once you need it on or off. You'll be able to customise its habits. For instance, you possibly can settle for textual content messages solely from starred (favourite) contacts and you'll choose particular callers who can get via even when Do Not Disturb is on. One possibility is to permit repeat calls, which may very well be a strategy to let somebody attain you in an emergency (by calling again inside quarter-hour) however not if they simply attempt calling you as soon as. A typical setting is to just accept calls from contacts or starred contacts which — on the very least — eliminates telemarketing calls like one I just lately acquired from abroad in the midst of the night time.

Larry Magid is a tech journalist and web security activist.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post