Dear Abby: This is so awkward, but I don’t know my date’s name

DEAR ABBY: I met a really good man whereas I used to be at a bar. As a result of I used to be barely drunk, he drove me dwelling. We exchanged numbers and, since then, we've been out as soon as.

I’m fairly positive we shall be going out once more. The issue is I do not know what his title is!

We didn’t alternate social media contacts. I really feel awkward asking his title now. Any ideas?

UNKNOWN IN THE WEST

DEAR UNKNOWN: Sure. The subsequent time he will get in contact, ask him for the right spelling of his first and final names “to enter into your contact listing.” It could handle to get you off the hook with out embarrassing your self, until his title is John Smith.

DEAR ABBY: My greatest buddy, “Sophie,” simply grew to become engaged to her longtime boyfriend, “Brian.” I need to be completely happy for her, however he doesn’t deserve her. She is aware of it, however she gained’t depart.

My downside is, I could very nicely be requested to be maid of honor at her wedding ceremony, and I dread the thought of getting to write down a speech about their relationship. How do I write a speech when I've nothing good to say about it?

I do know Sophie will anticipate one thing heartfelt since she’s my shut buddy. I get anxious simply fascinated by it. Please give me some recommendation.

RELUCTANT FRIEND IN INDIANA

DEAR RELUCTANT FRIEND: While you write your speech, begin by saying how lengthy you and Sophie have been pals and the way shut the 2 of you might be. Share a few anecdotes about what a caring, loyal, enjoyable buddy Sophie is, and state how fortunate “Brian” is to be marrying her.

Then toast the completely happy couple, want them a lifetime of happiness collectively (even if you happen to really feel it gained’t prove that manner) and “drop the mic.”

You don't have to sing Brian’s praises if you happen to really feel he doesn’t deserve it. That privilege ought to belong to one of the best man.

DEAR ABBY: My spouse and I've pals — a married couple — we socialize with each few weeks.

“Charles” is kind-hearted, nice and pleasurable, at all times with a very good stability between talking and listening throughout conversations. His spouse, “Claire,” however, isn’t enthusiastic about listening to about our lives.

After we attempt to provoke a dialog, Claire cuts us off and switches the topic to a nonrelated, self-centered subject. She additionally interrupts Charles whereas he’s speaking. She goes on and on describing at size the trivia of her actions and, worse, the lives of her pals (whom we don’t know or have any curiosity in).

We not take pleasure in her firm, however we hate to lose the reference to Charles. Any ideas?

BORED IN MISSOURI

DEAR BORED: It could be time for you and Charles to see one another with out wives in tow — for lunch or a sporting occasion.

That manner you'll be off the hook having to tolerate Claire, and your spouse gained’t should put up together with her as a result of she will socialize with pals whose firm she enjoys.

I don’t have a crystal ball, however I've a powerful hunch you and your spouse gained’t be the primary to do that.

Pricey Abby is written by Abigail Van Buren, also called Jeanne Phillips, and was based by her mom, Pauline Phillips. Contact Pricey Abby at www.DearAbby.com or P.O. Field 69440, Los Angeles, CA 90069.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post