Oakland cats just doing what cats do, head rubbing and tiny box sitting

Cats are notorious for getting into tiny spaces, and there's a reason for that. They like the feeling of protection and security these spots provide.
Getty Photos

Cats are infamous for stepping into tiny areas, and there’s a motive for that. They like the sensation of safety and safety these spots present.

DEAR JOAN: Seven years in the past, I misplaced each of my cats inside weeks of one another. I took it very arduous. They'd been my fixed companions for a lot of years, and I simply didn’t suppose I may open my coronary heart once more.

However I missed not having cats, and when a good friend discovered herself with two cats that she couldn’t absorb, I made a decision perhaps my coronary heart had healed sufficient. I'm so glad I made a decision to take the danger, though I do know I’m opening myself as much as heartbreak in a while.

The cats are such a pleasure to me. They aren’t fairly kittens and never but adults, and they're so enjoyable and playful. They each wish to snuggle, one in my lap and one beside me in my chair.

Having cats once more has additionally jogged my memory of some questions I've about their behaviors. One rubs his head on me steadily, and I don’t know what meaning. They each wish to get in containers and that made me marvel, as a result of my different cats did it, too, and I’ve seen loads of movies with cats attempting to squeeze into containers or vases that don’t appear to have the ability to maintain them.

Lois G., Oakland

DEAR LOIS: First, my condolences on the lack of your two furry friends. It’s an absolute crime that our pets don’t reside so long as we would like them to, however then once more, without end would appear too quick. And congratulations on discovering the energy to like once more. I’m positive your new cats already are mending your damaged coronary heart.

As for the cat behaviors, your cat rubbing his head towards you isn't solely an indication of affection, it’s a means of marking you as his particular person. It’s referred to as bunting, and when he does it, he’s releasing pheromones, marking you as his.

Now, that may appear a bit creepy, however on this case, he’s simply letting different cats know that you just maintain a particular place in his life.

As for cats attempting to squeeze into teeny areas, it would seem the cat has no consciousness in any respect of its personal dimensions, however there’s really an excellent rationalization for it. Cats don’t like broad open areas, they usually really feel far more safe and secure after they’re in a extra confined house, or a minimum of one with particular borders and bounds.

It relates again to when cats lived within the wild. They needed to be on fixed guard towards bigger predators and risks, so snoozing in the course of an open subject was not one thing they'd do. As a substitute, they'd conceal themselves, and if they may discover a spot that was protected on all sides, that was gold.

Cats additionally wish to nestle into spots the place they'll quietly observe prey, and launch themselves at it. Small areas are nice for that, too.

DEAR JOAN: In reference to considered one of your solutions about why massive flocks of gulls are congregating in Crystal Springs Reservoir, after I requested about the identical factor at Guadalupe Reservoir close to San Jose, I used to be advised that the gulls weren't seagulls, however a smaller, freshwater breed.

I don’t keep in mind who advised me that, so I wouldn’t guess on it.

Will Turner, San Jose

DEAR WILL: Technically, there is no such thing as a breed of gull referred to as a seagull, however the one who advised you may need been referring to California gulls, which do have a tendency to hang around inland, making seasonal visits to the coast.

Have a query for Joan?

Use this type to submit questions. Photographs must be mailed individually to jmorris@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post