Q: Ed Mocarsk claims you don’t want chains when you've got an 4WD car. That isn't the case.
I used to be stopped as soon as heading to Kirkwood from Tahoe by the CHP, ensuring my car had four-wheel drive, and that I had chains. I didn't have any, considering that I didn't want them. I used to be knowledgeable that it was essential to hold chains, even for 4WD autos.
The officer defined that in R3 (blizzard) circumstances, the one autos allowed are 4WD with chains. I’ve by no means skilled R3, as I assumed they closed the street earlier than that. That was about 15 years in the past, so perhaps they've modified the principles?
Mike Greenwood, San Jose
A: The foundations haven't modified. All autos are required to hold chains, and to place them on when circumstances require it.
One other mistake, as we may see in reviews from the Sierra blizzard this week, is that some drivers ignore official street warnings, and consider their GPS, which can not consider excessive climate circumstances on facet roads.
Q: You possibly can’t take heed to AM radio in a Tesla, however you'll be able to play video video games? Yeah, certain, that is smart.
Terri Lehan, San Jose
A: Tesla has seen the error in permitting video video games to be performed whereas the automobile is shifting. That perform shall be disabled till the automobile is parked. Hopefully, widespread sense will prevail with options they launch sooner or later.
Q: Loopy that Teslas don’t have AM radio. The excellent news is that KCBS (106.9 FM) and KNBR (104.5 FM) simulcast on FM stations so you may get the all-news station and take heed to Giants video games.
Susan Krauss, Alameda
A: Play ball! Lower than two months earlier than pitchers and catchers report, if the lockout ends in time.
Q: Are you able to ask Caltrans why the overhead freeway indicators that have been put in just some years in the past are already shedding reflectivity? I drive on Interstate 680 by Harmony to Freeway 4 on daily basis, and within the early hours, this is a matter.
Is that this an issue with all their newer indicators, or simply on the location I cited?
Andrew Pierce, Nice Hill
A: I've not heard about this drawback from anybody else, not less than up to now. These indicators must be good for six to 10 years earlier than needing to be upgraded.
Q: Reasonably than discarding string lights, please let your readers know that they are often disposed of as e-waste.
There shall be a free e-waste drop-off and Goodwill truck fundraiser for Westmont’s Theatre Arts boosters on Saturday, Jan. 29 (9 a.m.- 2 p.m.) at 4805 Westmont Ave., Campbell.
Elizabeth Ward, Campbell
A: Thanks for the tip.
Search for Gary Richards at Fb.com/mr.roadshow, or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com or 408-920-5335.
Citations
[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /][contact-field label="Website" type="url" /][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]
[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /][contact-field label="Website" type="url" /][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]
Citations
[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /][contact-field label="Website" type="url" /][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]
[contact-form][contact-field label="Name" type="name" required="true" /][contact-field label="Email" type="email" required="true" /][contact-field label="Website" type="url" /][contact-field label="Message" type="textarea" /][/contact-form]